The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Pacific

Pacific Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 06:44 AM

webfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing near Sooke, Vancouver Island

Hi,

I will be lucky enough to be on holiday on Vancouver Island from Scotland at the end of June. Staying near Sooke-does anybody have an recommendations as to best places to fish for salmon and trout nearby? Also hoping to introduce flyfishing to our young children so anywhere suitable for them would be great.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishing near Sooke, Vancouver Island

Gee, Mark. You posted this question and never received so much as a "Howdy-doo". Don't feel lonely, though, you can see from multiple posts that this happens. I think it's probably a factor of lots-of-members and not-so-many-moderators instead of intentional slight.

I post too infrequently on this forum to be the greeter, but how's a belated "Welcome to the forum" sound?

You've come and gone to Soote by now. Hope you found success there in the way of fly-fishing. If you feel like posting your trip, that would be nice.

The reason I found you post is that we are heading to Vancouver Island in a week or so and I was searching around for information here. Not much to be found.

It'll be our first trip to the island and we're looking forward to it. I don't expect to do any fishing there anyway. I'll save myself for the serious streams during our return across mainland B.C. to Idaho.

Allen R
Old 07-24-2010, 03:14 AM

Hi Allen,

thanks for your reply and welcome.

We had a great time in Sooke although sadly my Sage rod stayed in its tube for the whole of our vacation in Canada!

I think that, as here in Scotland, the best fishing is to be found in the Spring and Fall. Hope you have a good trip-its a great place to visit. Hopefully I'll return when the children are older and ready for some serious fishing.

Mark.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

I'm glad you had a good trip in spite of your entombed rod. I can empathize with the feeling. I've done the same in Scotland, although I did have one marvelous experience (1985) on the Spey.

We're looking forward to seeing Vancouver island. We'll be mixing our trip with camping (small truck with a rooftop tent) and lodging. I haven't really planned to fish on the island, mostly birding and such, but I'm familiar with many of the rivers/streams on the mainland and I'll fish a few of those on the way back to Idaho. We expect to be away three-four weeks.

Allen R
Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 AM

Sounds like a good trip, Allen. Have a great vacation-and tight lines!

Mark.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:54 PM

rrdstarr is on a distinguished road

Just joining the community,
We go out of Sooke every summer for salmon and halibut charters. All the ones we have been on are class act and reasonably priced. I live 30 minutes from Sooke, and kayak fish in that area too but haven't caught a salmon yet on a fly!
$350 for four people for four hours is the usual going rate.

Elk and Beaver Lake are pretty good for trout fishing. You can rent a canoe at the north end of Elk lake for the kids and you.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Hi there,

We visited Sooke in the Summer and had a great time but unfortunately only there for 5 nights with young children so didn't have time to fish in the end. Would love to go back in the future. Thanks for the tips-oh and fishing from a kayak sound like a lot of fun!

Mark.