The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Pacific

Pacific Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:22 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Pitt River area

Hello...do any of you have info about that area...and specifically parts where you can park a P/U w/ a slide in camper and fish w/o a guide...

I have seen the resort areas with fly in only access...not something I can swing...gas $$ is already enough for me...

I would love to drive there and fish late summer...for whatever was around...

any comments are greatly appreciated...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 01-06-2013, 07:56 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pitt River area

The Pitt River? googling now...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I have been doing research on google earth...and found a few loggong roads etc that arent far from the river above Pitt Lake...lots of super fishing there...now I am just trying to find an area I can legally park my truck/camper...

farther upstream are some of the really nice$$ lodges...not anything this nail banger can afford...

its about 3-4 hours north of Vancouver I think...??? lots of long rides to get short distances...there is a Prov. Park not to far...hopefully some public land that allows camping???

late summer has insane fishing for salmon and big trout...spey casters dream...

here are some cord's...

49 degrees 33'47.73"N 122 degrees 37'27.32"W

I dont know the regs in Canada...Im hoping they are similar to Colorado...

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed

my blog & website
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM

ra40 is on a distinguished road

Sorry but you won't be able to access the Pitt River without boat. The Upper Pitt River drains the back side of Whistler area( Garibaldy Mtn Range)into Pitt Lake, the lake is about 14 miles long then drains into Lower Pitt River ( no fish) then into Fraser River which eventually drains into the ocean.

There is a old logging road on the north end of the lake that travels along side the upper river and there is an active logging operation on that road. To get there you need a boat to travel across the lake, then you need a bike or hike up the road. The river is a wild river so there is not much room to walk the shore, there is a few access points at 5km, 12km and 20 km but I would not walk or bike that road with a shot gun, lots of bears up there.

You won't find anyone to take you up there on the cheap as it is an expensive trip to run a jet boat up the river, not only that but very technical and dangerous so you don't want to go with someone who is not experienced at running that river.

Your best bet is to hire a guide for one day and enjoy the trip. If you are looking to fish rivers without a guide, try Vedder, Chehalis, Skagit, Coquihala river.

Click the image to open in full size.

Lot of pics of the Pitt on our website - Fishing in British Columbia - STS Guiding Service: Flyfishing Photo Gallery
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM

thanks...I guess here is a reason that lodge upstream is so darn expensive...I can see roads all around...and a few small structures...so cant they be accessed by a pu truck??also a hatchery...that has to be gotten to by vehicles...the bridge that crosses gets to the state park somehow too...I see several places that the roads go very close to the river...and there are google pics of other anglers fishing there...maybe they took boats up from the river mouth??...

I suspect that there is a way to access from land??those logging trucks get in and out...unless the river property's are posted...there should be a way to fish there...maybe even pay out some cash to be able to park on someones property...

I dont need a guide...half the fun is figuring it out myself...I have guided for years in CO and other locales...fly fishing and big game too...I might just trailer a small v hull and launch it somewhere nearby...and just fish from banks that you can moor or beach a boat at...but I still haven't given up on getting there by truck...those other vehicles cant go anywhere I cant...that is unless its illegal...I did see a few cabins...maybe they are for rent??more research is needed...

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

my blog & website
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Definitely look into the Regulations too. I know there are parts of Canada that don't allow non residents to fish on the weekend.
Edit: Or something like that. Obviously I don't have a clue, hah, but a hint to find someone to talk too that does.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Trust me, there is no road to get the north end of Lake, what you are seeing on google is logging roads, the hatchery has been closed for about 5 years. The lodge is located at 7km, there is a bridge at 5km and 20 km, both of these bridges were put up by logging companies many years ago. All those trucks you see have been brought in by a big barge, all the logging trucks are brought in the same way. The cabins on the upper Pitt mostly belong to lodge owners family and they don't rent them.

I have been guiding this river for over 20 years so I think you can trust what I say. There is no access unless you have a boat, simple as that.

Here is a link to airial photos, Pitt Lake, British Columbia / All - BC - Global Air Photos Inc., Aerial Photos
Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 PM

There is no special license required to fish the Pitt, just basic freshwater license, all species are catch & release, bait ban, single barbless hook.
You can get your license on-line at Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management - Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM

thanks very much for the specific info...and the link for the licensing...I am looking into other spots...its amazing something so close to the city is so closed off...its too far to trailer a boat...so smewhere else has to be in the plan...or hit it big and do the fishing lodge... banging nails and being a guide dont make for that...

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

my blog & website
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deschutes River in North Centeral Oregon.

Drive is probably not that much different; probably actually easier. The entire bottom end (about 1/3'rd) of the lower river is set up with one after another, after another. You may 'pay' $3 bucks/night for a BLM camping fee, but a big deal?

BLM/Oregon State Parks has a dead on map of the river from Warm Springs to the mouth. You can get a hard copy (I recommend) for about ten bucks or the map is on line for free.