The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Pacific

Pacific Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 PM

fisher_of_men is on a distinguished road
Default Best DIY river trout fishing in BC?

My buddies and I love to go after wild trout in rivers. Can anyone give recommendations on some good rivers to try in BC? We don't mind hiring a guide for a day or two, but can't afford any more than that. We also don't mind having to hike in. We are all fairly young, with young families, so DIY is the way we have to roll . I remember reading in F&S about some rivers just north of Glacier Nat. Park (in the US) where the Canadian government restricts the number of rods per day in the area, and this makes the trout fishing incredible. Any idea where this might be? Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best DIY river trout fishing in BC?

BC is a big place...most of which is OUTSIDE of Vancouver and area.

I have fished, worked (on fish) and lived through interior and northern BC. If you could be more precise that "BC"....perhaps I or another can help.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM

fisher_of_men is on a distinguished road

Southeast BC. Hope to drive there from Montana
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 PM

holywaters is on a distinguished road

You can't miss with the Elk River in Fernie. The river runs right through town and theres a number of drifts you can do that are about 20-30 min from town. There's also lots of walking and wading. Best freestone dry line fishing in the world... some say.

If you're looking for a GREAT guide, check here: Your Access to the Best Fly Fishing Guides Anywhere | BC Fly Fishing Guides
These guys put together this site because they were fly fishermen who were tired of booking off time and then getting hosed by unprofessional guides and lousy trips. All the guides and trips on this site they've fished with and recommend personally.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I am going to Vancouver at the end of Sept. I am also looking for smaller streams/creeks, to go after Rainbows and Cutts. I want to go after smaller fish not salmon or steelhead since I will only be bringing a 5wt rod.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 12-26-2013, 05:25 AM

flytom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputinj View Post
I am going to Vancouver at the end of Sept. I am also looking for smaller streams/creeks, to go after Rainbows and Cutts. I want to go after smaller fish not salmon or steelhead since I will only be bringing a 5wt rod.
As a resident of BC for many years, and a Canadian citizen, I can advise that fishing permits costs are, from cheapest to more expensive.

1 BC residents
2 Canadians
3 Americans
4 Others, who must hire a licensed guide.
However it must have been worthwhile, as, when I managed a motel
I encountered many fishing parties from Europe. I resided in Prince George BC
Details can be obtained from BC Government, Victoria.
See my other post about northern BC fishing