The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Pacific

Pacific Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By onthehunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 09:37 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Fernie or Terrace

From a fishing and hunting (archery and waterfowl) standpoint, where would you rather live?

Eventually, we are looking to purchase property and are looking at western Montana, central Oregon, possibly Idaho and these two places in BC. Obviously, the fly fishing is very important, but we are also interested in the hunting and overall quality of life.

No doubt, the anadromous fish are king in Terrace, but what about other species? Is there decent Trout fishing or Pike in some of the sloughs and lakes? With regards to Fernie, there are the Cutties and Bulls, but are there decent Pike or other opportunities as well?

I appreciate all info and look forward to it!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:26 PM

flytom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fernie or Terrace

I resided in Kitimat BC approx 40 miles south of Terrace.
I enjoyed excellent fishing on the Kitimat river.
My favourite venue was a few miles east of Terrace.
The local name was the Copper River, but it's proper name, on the map, is the Indian name, the Zymoetz. My spelling my not be quite right, but the Copper had excellent steelhead, My favourite spot was 20 miles up the Copper, called the Clore. Forst class steelhead fishing.
I enjoyed the countryside at Houston, where I worked for a while, and fished the Bulkly River.
Some good fishing and hunting (moose) up the "Nass Road", accessed from Terrace, and eventually reaches the Nass River.
All in all, good hunting and fishing country.
However, the small town of Hudson Hope is paradise for hunting and fishing.
Located between Chetwynd and Fort St. John( North from Prince George)
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM

mcallagan is on a distinguished road

Terrace, the salmon fishing in that area is world reknown with a plethora of great rivers.
A little bit East of Smithers there are thousands of lakes for trout mostly.
Hunting is unreal with moose (Alaskan not Montana sub species), bear( griz and black), deer, goats, sheep and others.
A "Sportsman's Paradise."
Winters are brutal though.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 PM

paulw2 is on a distinguished road

I live in alberta , and I fish fernie district every year 3 hrs from Calgary lots of good trout water rivers and lakes ,never have fished for pike over in b.c. but a short drive from fernie to alberta ,there is lots of pike water ,don't know about hunting over there but seen tons of elk and deer ,moose ,etc. and not too far into northern Idaho or Montana for that matter, I think you would have a lot more driving choices being based out of fernie .close enough to bigger centers ,but far enough to be outa the big cities ,plus winter skiing right on your door step ,good lord ,I might have just talked myself into moving there

paul
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw2 View Post
I live in alberta , and I fish fernie district every year 3 hrs from Calgary lots of good trout water rivers and lakes ,never have fished for pike over in b.c. but a short drive from fernie to alberta ,there is lots of pike water ,don't know about hunting over there but seen tons of elk and deer ,moose ,etc. and not too far into northern Idaho or Montana for that matter, I think you would have a lot more driving choices being based out of fernie .close enough to bigger centers ,but far enough to be outa the big cities ,plus winter skiing right on your door step ,good lord ,I might have just talked myself into moving there

paul
I have been looking at Calgary as well. I just do not know if they will accept a Blackhawks diehard!

Calgary has the Trout and Pike, it lacks the Steelhead and Salmon, but it has Whitetail and Waterfowl!

Hmmm......
paulw2 likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM

mcallagan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw2 View Post

paul
Only pike in BC should be in the Artic Watershed.
Pike carry a virus/bacteria that is fatal to Salmon and believe it or not if you catch 1 in the Pacific Watershed in BC you are suppose to report it.
There use to be a sign on the Highway just North of Prince George, South of Summit Lake, that was at the watershed split that stated this.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytom View Post
I resided in Kitimat BC approx 40 miles south of Terrace.
I enjoyed excellent fishing on the Kitimat river.
My favourite venue was a few miles east of Terrace.
The local name was the Copper River, but it's proper name, on the map, is the Indian name, the Zymoetz. My spelling my not be quite right, but the Copper had excellent steelhead, My favourite spot was 20 miles up the Copper, called the Clore. Forst class steelhead fishing.
I enjoyed the countryside at Houston, where I worked for a while, and fished the Bulkly River.
Some good fishing and hunting (moose) up the "Nass Road", accessed from Terrace, and eventually reaches the Nass River.
All in all, good hunting and fishing country.
However, the small town of Hudson Hope is paradise for hunting and fishing.
Located between Chetwynd and Fort St. John( North from Prince George)
NOW your talking my neck of the woods....well, 12 years ago it was my neck of the woods. Hudson Hope on the Peace River. I lived in Ft. St. John for 22 years and fished and hunted and worked at fishing and hunting all over that country. 11...yes ELEVEN big game species mere minutes away from Hudsons Hope....and no shortage of small game including waterfowl. Fishing...granted, we have no migratories as HH is on the Eastern side of the Rockies....there is good rainbow, brookie, bull, whitefish (3 species), pike, walleye, perch,grayling....and things like burbot and squawfish....even the odd inconnu (she-fish) on the Williston Lake. Fishing....literally...you could fish a well known walleye/pike lake catching 40 walleye an hour (not kidding) in the morning..on the fly....fly fish for grayling, whitefish and rainbows while having a riverside lunch (on the Peace)....then hike into one of the many stocked mountain lakes and catch 10 pound plus bows from your float tube.

As a hunter-fisher...some of my best memories of 'home'....involve some form of leaving home early in the moring.... with my bow, shotgun, fly rod, float tube and black lab in my truck. First thing in the morning....still hunting for moose, mule deer, whitetail deer or bear till sun up. Drive to a big swamp lake that has tons of access roads literally onto the lake (oil exploration) and jump/pass shooting ducks and geese. Drive a bit more to a series of brook and rainbow trout stocked lakes and float tube fly fish. Have lunch...yep, its only lunch time...have a nap...and follow the return loop home filling in any of the bag limit gaps that remain....incidental grouse (ruffed, spruce, ptarmingan, sharptail)...those along any of the routes I am on....are always part of any of these trip legs. ALL done in a day...ALL within maybe 200 km total drive distance to take it all in. From my house in FSJ, I could repeat this with a myriad of interchangeable species (sub rainbows for walleye, moose for elk, bear for sheep, etc.)

HERE`S the problem though. BC Hydro...is, yet again, proposing its Site C dam. Unlike the first 2 attempts at getting this dam in (I actually did some of the fisheries assessments for those studies then), this dam will be located some 45 or so MILES downstream of Hudson`s Hope. The resultant impoundment...will flood the entire Peace Valley ending the majority of opportunities I discussed above. Hopefully, this attempt will die also....but I digress.

King Joe Outa Here!