The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Pacific

Pacific Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 PM

buckwheat is on a distinguished road
Default kamloops

planning a trip to the Kamloops area where we took our family vacations when i was a kid. havnt been up there in about 25years and wanted to take the wife and kids up there for a fishing vacation. looking for some info on camping areas. having trouble finding any info on the net. specificaly Kentucky Lake and Pavilion Lake. was able to dig up some info on Kentucky Alleyne park. was told some years back that there was no longer any camp areas at Pavilion Lake. any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: kamloops

Hello buckwheat, I hope you can find something with this linkage:

camping at Pavillion Lake, Kamloops bc - Google Search

The pop of Kamloops is around 85k now so you
might not recognize it from 25 years ago !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 PM

montanamoose thanks for the info. i guess i need some surfing lessons. last time i was up there we usually had the whole lake to ourselves i can only emagine how its changed. hopefully the fishing is still good.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 AM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Yer welcome buckwheat...I hope the fishing is good when you're there too. Maybe you'll tangle
with some of those big Kamloops RB's...take lots
of pics !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM

with the pop growth i just hope there is still some fish around. when i was a kid i dont think we ever caught anything under 20". lots of fish 25 to 30. we will see this summer. hopefully i remember the camera.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 PM

I hope you remember the camera too and that you get some 30" Kamloops...that would be great...

Oh, found out something interesting recently...the Coquahalla (sp) hiway is no longer a toll road and if you haven't run it, it goes from Kamloops to Hope....I did it when it first opened and was a toll road. It cuts the better part of a days drive off the trip back to the States from Kamloops.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

A little off topic but I hadn't heard "Kamloops" for a lot of years. Years ago at June Lake in Ca I caught a trout that was all silver and grey (no colors). It looked just like a RB. Haven't caught one before or since. A guy at the lake called it a Kamloop. Does that sound about the right look?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Hello Jimmie, I know, those magical 'Canada' words that bring back great memories ! Well,
having fished around June Lakes Loop, Rush Creek, etc. I'd take a wild guess and say the
silver and grey trout may have been a Kokanee
Salmon. Again, that's a wild guess.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
Hello Jimmie, I know, those magical 'Canada' words that bring back great memories ! Well,
having fished around June Lakes Loop, Rush Creek, etc. I'd take a wild guess and say the
silver and grey trout may have been a Kokanee
Salmon. Again, that's a wild guess.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Thanks Moose...............Jimmie
Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM

moose, i did not know they had toll ways up in that area i will have to keep an eye out for that road. 30" fish would be nice having never fly fished up in that area i hope i can figure out what they are eating. my 8 year old refuses to use spinning gear so i will probably be spending more time helping him. usually kids get board after about 10 minutes no matter what kind of fishing they are doing. he can stand out there for hours slinging them flies around. snaps off about 50 bucks worth everytime we go. money well spent.