The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Pacific

Pacific Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM

SkeenaSkater is on a distinguished road
Default skeena drainage bums

Hi there,
My first post on this site. Any steelhead bums out there interested in discussing flies and techniques and places, etc. in the Skeena drainage area?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skeena drainage bums

Hi Skater,
I'm not yet afflicted with this illness, but plan on trying the Spey Rod this Fall with a friend of mine.
I will stay tuned into this thread.

By the way welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your post.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi SkeenaSkater,

Welcome to the forum. We have lots of members that fish Steelhead but I don't think they are from your area.

What has happen with the new rules that I saw that might limit numbers of out of state fishers. Did that affect you or did it fail to get passed.

Frank
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 PM

bojangles is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

I too am hoping to get to the Morice or Skeena from Calgary around the end os Sept. or early Oct. for the first time. I have picked a new Spey rod (Scot 13ft 8 wt) and hope to try my hand at Spey fishing as well as my 9/10 wt fly rods.
I am planning to take my tent trailer and camp and I also have a 11' zodiac with a 10hp to check out the rivers.
My travel dates are flexable and I wouldn't mind trying to hook up (no pun intended) with some others. I can't seem to convince my buddies here to make the trip.
I would also be interested in a swap for the steelhead areas in exchange for some fishing on the Bow river here in and around Calgary.
I would also welcome any adivice or tips for staying/fishing the area.

Cheers...BJ
Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Hi Skater,
I'm not yet afflicted with this illness, but plan on trying the Spey Rod this Fall with a friend of mine.
I will stay tuned into this thread.

By the way welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your post.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Be ready to get hooked once you get your spey rod; it's a blast!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi SkeenaSkater,

Welcome to the forum. We have lots of members that fish Steelhead but I don't think they are from your area.

What has happen with the new rules that I saw that might limit numbers of out of state fishers. Did that affect you or did it fail to get passed.

Frank
Thanks Frank. The rules..... That has stirred quite a bit of commotion here (and elsewhere). For now there are still round table meetings with the interest groups. I do expect that we will see some changes in the future though. To be honest something needs to be done to preserve the high quality fishing experience. I'm sure it won't be easy to satisfy all involved but in the end it is the fishery that is important. In the near future I don't thing much will change for visiting anglers, the way it looks now.

Best regards,
Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Hey there,

I too am hoping to get to the Morice or Skeena from Calgary around the end os Sept. or early Oct. for the first time. I have picked a new Spey rod (Scot 13ft 8 wt) and hope to try my hand at Spey fishing as well as my 9/10 wt fly rods.
I am planning to take my tent trailer and camp and I also have a 11' zodiac with a 10hp to check out the rivers.
My travel dates are flexable and I wouldn't mind trying to hook up (no pun intended) with some others. I can't seem to convince my buddies here to make the trip.
I would also be interested in a swap for the steelhead areas in exchange for some fishing on the Bow river here in and around Calgary.
I would also welcome any adivice or tips for staying/fishing the area.

Cheers...BJ
BJ... You will have a great time! Make sure to bring dry flies for this period. I suggest that you rig up your 138 with a scandi head system with a variety of tips. Bring some general steelhead wet flies; big stinger hook flies, small singles around size 4 as follow up flies, tubes if you have em. Let me know if you want more specific pattern info. If you bring your trailer there will be lots of places to camp. At the time you will be here all the rivers should be fishing well and you will have miles and miles of river to choose from. Have fun! Cheers.