The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 AM

mireland is on a distinguished road
Question First time Fishing Yellowstone...

Hello all,
It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm leaving for Yellowstone on Father's Day and I'll be there for a week. While the other three guys going will not be fly fishing, I want to do as much as I can without taking their entire day (we'll be in one car).
My situation: I have no waders, and only a 5 weight (which I presume will be fine?). I'm going to be camping at Norris for the majority of the trip but exploring most of the park between Mammoth Hot Springs and Yellowstone Lake. I'm mainly wondering if there are some waters nearby Norris that I can fish. I'll have a chance to fish the Firehole I believe too. If there are some waters that are very worth checking out, I may bring an extra spinner and entice the guys to fish with me. Any advice or more specific areas to fish would be much appreciated. ( I know there are tonssss of areas to fish, but any tips would be great!)

I also noticed there were a few shops in West Yellowstone where I will be coming through, so if anyone can reccomend a good one to stop through on my way into the park for flies and leaders that'd be great!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:40 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First time Fishing Yellowstone...

Stop @ Jacklins in town. He's a gentleman & will help you out. Actually they are all reputable ,but I like Jacklins the best.