The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM

goin2themountains is on a distinguished road
Question Pontoon boats

Maybe I didn't search enough, but I am pondering one person pontoons. Most of my travel/recreation/RVing/fishing is done in a 5th wheel RV which won't take a rear hitch to double pull a boat behind. I have been looking at porta-boat as one option, but it appears I could get a dandy pontoon for less money. Any of you use them? Lakes only?, rivers? Need one with a standing platform, or can I get as much distance sitting. Just looking to pick a few brains. Thanks all, and btw, love the website info, and particularly the pictures. wow, you all are good.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Pontoon boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2themountains View Post
Maybe I didn't search enough, but I am pondering one person pontoons. Most of my travel/recreation/RVing/fishing is done in a 5th wheel RV which won't take a rear hitch to double pull a boat behind. I have been looking at porta-boat as one option, but it appears I could get a dandy pontoon for less money. Any of you use them? Lakes only?, rivers? Need one with a standing platform, or can I get as much distance sitting. Just looking to pick a few brains. Thanks all, and btw, love the website info, and particularly the pictures. wow, you all are good.
Ok, ok, did another search and tons of stuff on pontoons. I think my brain shorted out. Mods, delete if permissable.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I've seen all kinds and sizes. The 8-10 footers with or without a platform are good for lakes (they track straight). Some guys attach a trolling motor for big lakes. I like fishing with fins so I don't miss fish. Rowing can be very effective, but the're sometimes gone before you can grab your rod. Stand up platform is a good idea. Dave scaddon has a good one. Cata rafts (pontoons)
with lots of rocker (turned up ends), are better for rivers. Much more manuverable. So, once again there is no best boat. I settled for a small pram, for lakes(no waders, a guest, extra gear room, and a casting platform. Chose an outcast 8' IR for rivers with rocks and waves. I own a backpackable float tube for small waters that others don't fish. Best advice, develope a real time sailors awareness of wind and weather. More than once I've taken the big ride, and was stuck a long ways from the truck. Also, I suggest investing in an near shore auto-inflatible vest. It may save your bacon, or at least help them find you. Locally now it's the law. Enjoy!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i too suggest an inflatable (PFD) but i think the manual is better for fishing.

you can get good distance with proper technique and practice without a standing platform. my buddy does it all the time.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi goin2themountains,

I have used a pontoon for over 10 years in rivers and some lakes. I don't have a standing platform and have never felt I needed one. I get all the distance I need from the sitting position. I use a 9'6" fly rod and it works fine for my style of fishing.

Frank
Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Thanks guys, I will mull this over for a while before making a decision. I really appreciate the input, and will forget the casting platform fer sure.

Bob
Old 06-19-2009, 09:20 AM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

That standing platform is real nice for site fishing. I don't have one currently, but have used it in the past. On stillwater, it is nice to cast back toward the shoreline to cruisers. I don't need the platform for distance, rather sight.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi goin2themountains,

I have used a pontoon for over 10 years in rivers and some lakes. I don't have a standing platform and have never felt I needed one. I get all the distance I need from the sitting position. I use a 9'6" fly rod and it works fine for my style of fishing.

Frank
Franko, I didn't think anything about the casting/standing platform until I tried it on the Outlaw. I wouldn't think of going back now. There's a big difference between sitting down and standing and sight fishing. You can see better, cast farther and the thing I like, if my can gets sore, I can stand up. Take a little weight off and stretch out. Best damn boat I ever owned.

Joni on her's
Click the image to open in full size.

And mine
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
i too suggest an inflatable (PFD) but i think the manual is better for fishing.

you can get good distance with proper technique and practice without a standing platform. my buddy does it all the time.

eric
fresno, ca.
Eric, now think about having proper technique and casting from a platform. Lot's of distance and water covered. It opens up a whole new world of stillwater and river fishing.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:44 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

m... oh yeah, i should clarify. a standing platform is REALLY nice to have and i can imagine the added visibillity. i was just addressing the "need" aspect for distance. the ones with standing platforms cost much more than my wallet can bear though i wish i could have one. if the OP can afford it, i would go yours and joni's route.

eric
fresno, ca.