The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Help finding fishing guide

Hi Larry,

Yes, that is the outfit. It is a good shop. I found them more willing to share information than Abe's.

Frank

Float N Fish

County Rd 4251, Navajo Dam, NM 87419
Contact Phone505) 632-5385
Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Larry,

Yes, that is the outfit. It is a good shop. I found them more willing to share information than Abe's.

Frank

Float N Fish

County Rd 4251, Navajo Dam, NM 87419
Contact Phone505) 632-5385
Frank & Larry,

If Bubba guides for Float 'n Fish, it's in addition to guiding for Fisheads of the San Juan []San Juan River Fly Fishing New Mexico, the only Orvis-endorsed guiding service in the area (FWIW). I also know from personal experience that he guides for Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service as well.

BTW, as I've said before on this Forum, Float 'n Fish is one of the finest fly-shops I've been to, and certainly the best in the San Juan River area. However, be forewarned that on my last trip up there last October, they charged me almost $5 a fly - and these weren't for big complicated bass or saltwater flies but for #22-#26 simple thread nymphs and midges. In fact, that experience is what got me back into fly-tying again.

Neil
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

I can't speak to the exceptions. I've heard good things about Brian C, also. But I was giving a general recommendation based on my knowledge of guides in the area overall...and that was Durango/Pagosa, not the San Juan in NM. Those are two different markets with just a bit of overlap - sort of like Lake Taneycomo/Beaver Tailwater/White River below Bull Shoals Dam/Norfork Dam tailwater in MO and AR. There is a bit of guide travel back and forth, but they are basically each separate markets with the exception of the White & Norfork.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Bubba does not guide for Float n' Fish anymore. He was working in Arkansas for a while, but I ran into him on the Juan last fall. He was just 'fishing' with another gentleman, but I don't doubt for a minute that he guiding on the Juan for another company. He is a ton of fun to fish with and a true expert on the Juan.

I haven't had any positive experiences with Abe's, but I am sure they are a fine establishment. I've probably just caught them at off times.

If I am on the Juan, I am always stopping in at the Float n' Fish, even if it is just to say hi. I tie my own Juan flies, so I have no idea how much they charge for flies. I've purchased a ton of stuff from the the Float n' Fish, but never flies.