The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Help finding fishing guide (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/10107-help-finding-fishing-guide.html)

vidorian 06-21-2009 06:00 PM

Help finding fishing guide

Family and I are headed to Colorado this summer camping. We are staying at Molas Lake Park between Durango and Silverton. Would like to take a day fly fishing guided trip. Any suggestions on a good guide. Looking for someone personable and funny. We are not stuffy people and would like to have some fun and catch fish. 2 adults, 17 and 12 year olds. Probably only dad and son will fish while Mom and daughter watch. Looking for an outfit that will take us along for the ride even if we don't fish. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

mcnerney 06-21-2009 07:23 PM

Re: Help finding fishing guide

I have used Duranglers 4-5 times fishing the San Juan River and would highly recommend them. The guid I have used is Mark Engler, a very personable guy and we have always had a great time.
Duranglers - fly fishing resource for Durango Colorado and the San Juan River

Larry

DryFlyGuy 06-21-2009 08:17 PM

I really like the guys at Float n' Fish if you are going to fish on the Juan.

flyguy66 06-22-2009 07:50 AM

In that area, Duranglers and The Caddis Company are probably the best bets. But whatever outfitter/fly shop you choose, make sure you get an old fella for a guide! The youngsters who work out there tend to be pretty arrogant show-boats who think folks are supposed to pay for "the privelege" of fishing with them.

SJDrifli 06-22-2009 11:05 AM

Call the Caddis company and ask for Brian Capsay, that guy knows that area as well as anyone, patient, knowledgable and hell of a nice guy!

vidorian 06-23-2009 08:50 AM

Have contacted both Duranglers and the Caddis Company to see what kind of trip they have to offer. Thanks for the help. When you're a newbie, expert advice from someone who's done it is really helpful.

Frank Whiton 06-23-2009 09:06 AM

Hi vidorian,

If Bubba is still guiding for Float & Fish you can't do much better. He also works in the shop. I never fished with Bubba but he helped me out with some flies and where to fish with my pontoon. At one time we were both at the take out spot. He walked over and handed me a fly that they did real well with that day. Then he told me where and how they were fishing it. A first class guy that loves to fish.

Frank

mcnerney 06-23-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 63968)
Hi vidorian,

If Bubba is still guiding for Float & Fish you can't do much better. He also works in the shop. I never fished with Bubba but he helped me out with some flies and where to fish with my pontoon. At one time we were both at the take out spot. He walked over and handed me a fly that they did real well with that day. Then he told me where and how they were fishing it. A first class guy that loves to fish.

Frank

Frank: Bubba sounds like a standup guy for sure! I did a Google search and found this link (is this the outfit you are talking about?):
Float N Fish LLC, Navajo Dam NM 87419 -- MerchantCircle.com

Larry

SJDrifli 06-23-2009 06:29 PM

Mcnerney, check your pm

Fly2Fish 06-23-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy66 (Post 63857)
In that area, Duranglers and The Caddis Company are probably the best bets. But whatever outfitter/fly shop you choose, make sure you get an old fella for a guide! The youngsters who work out there tend to be pretty arrogant show-boats who think folks are supposed to pay for "the privelege" of fishing with them.

Ken, can't speak for Duranglers but Brian Capsay with The Caddis Company in Durango is a young guy and is a terrific guide. Caught the biggest rainbow I've ever caught under his guiding (no, not the San Juan, the Los Pinos near Durango). Everything SJDrifli said about him is true. Only problem with his "youth" is that he's in a hell of a lot better shape than I am for climbing those river boulders.

I've got good things to say about Bubba Smith as well. He did a good job guiding me into trout on the San Juan under poor weather and fishing conditions. Was the most generous guide I've ever used, free with giving me extra flies he'd tied for use on my own later in the week. Compare that with most guides who'll cut their fly off your tippit at the end of the day.