The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Michaelcw is on a distinguished road
Default Need guide in Laramie area

Hi...I registered for Michael (my husband) because I'm trying to help him plan a fly fishing experience near Laramie, WY the week of August 16. He's going to be visiting his daughter and son-in-law, who just moved there in April. Michael is an avid steelhead fly fisher here in northeast Ohio (just west of Cleveland); however, he has gear for catching other types of fish, too. I need recommendations for a guide service. Also, should he bring his own gear, or should he just use the outfitter's gear? He'll be flying to Denver and driving a rented car up to Laramie. I know he would prefer to go out only one or two days, since he's staying up there only 4-5 days and wants to visit with his daughter, too. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks. June
Old 06-29-2009, 01:10 PM

weremichael is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need guide in Laramie area

I haven't ever used a guide service (too poor), but I do fly fish a lot here in SW Wyoming and down at Rocky Mountain National Park(RMNP). My closest flyshop Four Season Anglers does guide on the local waters. The guys at the shop are really nice, so I would imagine that they would be great on the local waters.

He could also go out by himself to a wide variety of places within an hour of Laramie. Off the top of my head would be the Laramie River near Woods Landing. If the water temp is too warm on the Laramie, he could go up to French Creek for brookies, Albany South Twin for cutthroat or the Shelf Lakes for goldens. All of those are in the Snowy Range.

If he wants to go further away from Laramie he could go fish the Platte or Encampment Rivers near Saratoga or head down to RMNP and fish the Thompson River or Glacier Creek.

Regardless where he goes, we have some great fishing in our part of the world.

-Michael
Old 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The Four Seasons Anglers would be a good choice as well as Stoney Creek Outfitters over in Saratoga. I have floated the Saratoga from Treasure Island to Saratoga with Stoney Creek. Stoney Creek Outfitters - Home

By August I would recommend fishing very early in the morning or just before dark (the local streams will be getting pretty warm). There are a number of good public fishing access points on the North Platte and the streams and lakes in the Snowy Mtns west of Laramie would be an excellent choice as they will fish good all summer long. I would highly recommending purchasing a copy of the Flyfishers Guide to Wyoming, it will detail all of the lakes and streams with the locations and the public access points.

Larry
Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 PM

Michaelcw is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Larry and Michael. I really appreciate the fact that you replied with such good info. That will help a great deal in my planning of my first (hopefully, of many) fly fishing experience(s) in Wyoming! Michaelcw
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome! If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask, we have some really good fishing in this area, you just need to know where to go and at first it can seem a daunting task to figure out.

Larry