The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yampa River, CO

Friday afternoon I tried fishing the Yampa River tailwater section below Stagecoach Reservoir, CO but was really disappointed when I got there, there had to be one fisherman every 100 ft. I found an open spot and fished for about 40 minutes before getting run off by a thunderstorm. Saturday I decided not to go back even though I had purchased a park pass for two days, instead I opted to try and find a spot on the Yampa that was not nearly as crowded. The river is still running pretty high but the visibility is pretty decent. I hooked into a couple of real hogs but couldn't bring them to the net, they would make a run out into the heavy current and I couldn't turn them and that was basically the end of the fight. The river has pretty heavy vegitation so following the fish downstream is difficult in most cases, but I did manage to land a number of fish. The link below shows some of the photos, hope you enjoy!

http://www.yukonforge.com/YampaRiver.htm

Larry
Old 06-28-2009, 09:52 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Yampa River, CO

Nice. I can't wait to get back onto some moving water.

I fished some more stillwater Saturday and had a ball sight casting to cruising torpedos. I am going to fish the North Fork of the Shoshone for a couple of hours tomorrow morning before work.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad Larry nice pics we're going to name you Thunderman for everytime you go out a thunderstorm breaks
Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Larry,
You are getting some fantastic trips this year. Good for you.
Yat
Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yat: How is your shoulder coming along? Have you resorted to trying left handed casting yet?

JP: Your right about that, seems I have a thunderstorm following me around this year everytime I have something planned.

DryFlyGuy: Your streams should be clearing up by now even though the water level is still high. The Yampa River is still very high but it has good visibility.

Larry
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

Thanks for sharing your good day on the water. I didn't see anyone else on the water so you must have found a spot less popular. I really miss Trout fishing.

Frank
Old 06-29-2009, 03:41 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Larry,
Shoulder is in limbo right now. Doc wants to do surgery but I don't have insurance and the insurance co. for my neighbor where the accident happened is denying culpability. I've had to get a lawyer. The lawyer thinks I's have a good case. My neighbor is fully in my corner and has told the insurance co that he was totally responsible. It could get long and ugly.
The injury is not the worst rotator cuff tear you can have. I can lift my arm and have good range of motion except for pushing anything across my body. It's the upper Scapularus I think that's what the doc said,
I've been casting with the left, yes but can also do OK with this technique from Lefty,.YouTube - Lefty Kreh's casting demo - Part3
Just can't chuck Buggers much without pain.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Yat: Sorry to hear it is a rotator cuff issue, that can be a very painful injury. My wife had rotator cuff problems on each side but at different times, each time eventually requiring surgery. When we were in Alaska the surgeon wanted my wife to go through physical therapy for six months before he would operate, her shoulder got so bad that when he finally did the surgery he told her that the shoulder locked up in the 90 degree position......toward the end it was extremely painful for her. She couldn't do simple things like comb her hair or put on a coat. I sure hope your injury is not that kind. Hope you get better.

Larry
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Only got three hours in on the North Fork today (business got in the way). I had a newbie with me. I put three fish in the net, but more importantly, my new-to-fly fishing-buddy caught one!

He is pretty excited and asked to go out with me next time I head out. He even made me swing by the local shop on the way home so he could pick up some flies, tippet, magnetic rod holder and a few other trinkets. It was kind of fun to see him get so excited.

The river is running high and the water is starting to clear up. I suspect it will be another month before the fishing really starts getting hot on the moving water. That gives me a little more time to practice the thrill of the still(water).
Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
Only got three hours in on the North Fork today (business got in the way). I had a newbie with me. I put three fish in the net, but more importantly, my new-to-fly fishing-buddy caught one!

He is pretty excited and asked to go out with me next time I head out. He even made me swing by the local shop on the way home so he could pick up some flies, tippet, magnetic rod holder and a few other trinkets. It was kind of fun to see him get so excited.

The river is running high and the water is starting to clear up. I suspect it will be another month before the fishing really starts getting hot on the moving water. That gives me a little more time to practice the thrill of the still(water).
DryFlyGuy: That is good news! The rivers around here are starting to go down, I'll bet your rivers will also before long. Good to hear that you got some hookups on the river and had a chance to introduce a newbe to the sport.

Larry