The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montana Stream Access Law - HB 309 - Help!!

Thanks to all of you not from Montana that have taken the time to send emails. While Montanas love their liberties and pride themselves on frontier mentality that they don't care what others (outsiders) think, when it comes to the hunting and trout fishing industry - which is a multi-million $$ tourist draw for a state that doesn't have a lot of industry left, law makers will listen.

This current legislature is completely out of control. There have been more hair-brained bills than I can remember in long time. But this access issue is one that just never goes away, the troubling thing is that it is actually gaining traction. In years past it has been shot down by those from both political stripes but the Republicans this year are on a mission. Fortunately we still have a headstrong governor who will not put up with this bullsh_t, he is termed out and has nothing to lose to veto this bill. Still, it is critically important that the people take a stand, so again, thank you all for taking the time to make contact with some of the senators.

The high water mark is a way of life here!

Freestone, where are you if I may ask?

Last edited by dean_mt; 02-13-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: cleaning up.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Right you are Dean, right you are:

"Montana - Population

Montana ranked 44th in population in the US with an estimated total of 909,453 in 2002, an increase of 0.8% since 2000. Between 1990 and 2000, Montana's population grew from 799,065 to 902,195, an increase of 12.9%. The population is projected to reach 1,006,000 by 2005 and 1.1 million by 2025. The population density in 2000 was 6.2 persons per sq mi, the 3rd-lowest in the country.

In 2000, the median age of all Montana residents was 37.5. In the same year, 25.5% of the populace were under the age of 18 while 13.4% were age 65 or older.

Montana had no cities with populations exceeding 100,000 in 2002. The largest cities and their estimated populations are Billings, 89,847, and Great Falls, 56,690."

If you subtract out the 'city populations' the 'per square mile population' drops to about .1 per square mile. Your point about killing the tourist industry is well on point. No disrespect intended to Montana, but other than hunting (which I don't do) or fishing, why would you drive 1,000 or more miles round trip? Well access to Yellowstone, but beyond that .... ?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Here's what the new Utah law says.

Utah Stream Access | Utah Fly Fishing Club

Sadly it was the fly fishers, kayakers and some others that tried to fight the original fight. It wasn't until the new bill was passed and signed that the bait chuckers sat up and took notice. Fishing in Utah is so fragmented and divided unlike the hunter scene, and I think it's due a lot to a certain fishing forum that will remain nameless.
The Utah Stream Coalition has the lawsuit going
utahstreamaccess.org

Montanan's should band together before the you-know-what hits the fan. Colorado's not far behind in loosing access too.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 PM

freestoneangler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Here's what the new Utah law says.

Utah Stream Access | Utah Fly Fishing Club

Sadly it was the fly fishers, kayakers and some others that tried to fight the original fight. It wasn't until the new bill was passed and signed that the bait chuckers sat up and took notice. Fishing in Utah is so fragmented and divided unlike the hunter scene, and I think it's due a lot to a certain fishing forum that will remain nameless.
The Utah Stream Coalition has the lawsuit going
utahstreamaccess.org

Montanan's should band together before the you-know-what hits the fan. Colorado's not far behind in loosing access too.
Amazing... it seemed only recently that I heard Utah had made rulings allowing stream access much like Montana.

Worth noting is that there is a Montana based non-profit organization that has been fighting to uphold stream access and public road right-of-way laws. I have been a member for the past 5 years and they do alot of good work on behalf of us all who enjoy Montana's rivers.

PLWA - Public Land / Water Access Association, Inc - History

I'm not sure how long The "Utah Stream Access Coalition" has been in operation, but I plan to join and donate to them as well.

I don't fish Utah all too often anymore, but just had a neice get married in the SLC area -- who knows, Uncle Bill may be stopping through when retired and I'd sure like to try my hand at the Weber and Provo w/o getting shooed off by some elitist prick who thinks the worlds natural wonders belong to him

It takes only 5-10 minutes to draft a quick letter stating your position on upholding public stream access law and e-mailing to the list of MT State Senators... we can make a difference on the outcome both in MT and other states!

Please Help!

Thanks & Tightlines
Freestoneangler
TU Life Member
PLWA Member
USAC (soon to be) Member
Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The latest. This fellow (the Bill's Sponsor) really does think you're as dumb as a field of logged off stumps .... Scroll down a bit.

Wednesday 02/16/11 - Dillonite Daily
Old 02-16-2011, 03:38 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
The latest. This fellow (the Bill's Sponsor) really does think you're as dumb as a field of logged off stumps .... Scroll down a bit.

Wednesday 02/16/11 - Dillonite Daily
You know Fred, this one of the most annoying ironies of our day. These Republican out here (local, statewide, and national) mosey around and as long as the lies they spew have the "i'm just like you" good old boy tone, people listen. Frankly it is insulting, and it makes me mad as hell.

Here is just one dissenting opinion:
"The unfortunate reality," says Montana Trout Unlimited Conservation Director Mark Aagenes, "is that in order for [the bill's proponents] to fully make sure Mitchell Slough would be overturned, they needed to write the bill so broadly that it just makes it really difficult to see where the Stream Access Law would apply anymore."

And the major problem with this ridiculous bill, whether Mr. Welborn intended it or not, the legal consequences are more dire than the ____ he's shoveling in the Daily Dillionite (no disrespect, I love Dillon, it's one of my favorite places): Lane went on to describe the bill as senseless, pointing out that even the Bitterroot River—which, at least during irrigation season, fills with three times more returning diverted water as the primary flow of the river—would be defined as a ditch.

Here is the entire column from the Missoula Independent:
Waterways | Info | Missoula Independent

Understanding the language of the bill, it's intentions and flaws help write a concise letter to fellow Reps and Senators.

Last edited by dean_mt; 02-16-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clean up.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Anyone know if there's a email contact for a Trout Unlimited point person on this? Or is "Mark Aagenes" that dean cited the right guy?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Anyone know if there's a email contact for a Trout Unlimited point person on this? Or is "Mark Aagenes" that dean cited the right guy?
Not sure Hayden, but I'm sure that if you just called MT TU they would guide you in the right direction. My neighbor has a friend that works for TU and he said that they are busy !
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks.. I'll try again .. I was hoping there was one point person for TU on it.

Dave
Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I will be sending e-mails from Ohio telling them my money will be spent elsewhere if I'm not allowed to walk in Ted Turners water....

Can't us poor people have anything anymore???? I like it the way it is, streambeds, beaches, waterways should not be privately owned.