The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Montana Stream Access Law - HB 309 - Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I will be sending e-mails from Ohio telling them my money will be spent elsewhere if I'm not allowed to walk in Ted Turners water....

Can't us poor people have anything anymore???? I like it the way it is, streambeds, beaches, waterways should not be privately owned.
It is a really good time to call or write in that you are displeased with this legislation. The congress is just re-convening for the second session to try for final passage of a lot these BS bills.

Another good place to call and let know that you will be bypassing the state of Montana this summer to fish somewhere with more friendly access and environmental law is the Chamber of Commerce. The WILL listen.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:13 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
It is a really good time to call or write in that you are displeased with this legislation. The congress is just re-convening for the second session to try for final passage of a lot these BS bills.

Another good place to call and let know that you will be bypassing the state of Montana this summer to fish somewhere with more friendly access and environmental law is the Chamber of Commerce. The WILL listen.
That is exactly what I plan on telling them. I spent most of my 17 day vacation there last year (granted we did it very cheaply, mostly camping) and that will not be happening again if I have nowhere to fish. This is not just your fight, there are tens of thousands of fly fisherman who go to MT every year, and we all can pitch in to harass your legislators. They might not listen, then you guys have to throw the bums out!

Throw the bums out! Throw the bums out!!!!!! Throw the bums out!!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:00 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
That is exactly what I plan on telling them. I spent most of my 17 day vacation there last year (granted we did it very cheaply, mostly camping) and that will not be happening again if I have nowhere to fish. This is not just your fight, there are tens of thousands of fly fisherman who go to MT every year, and we all can pitch in to harass your legislators. They might not listen, then you guys have to throw the bums out!

Throw the bums out! Throw the bums out!!!!!! Throw the bums out!!!!!
Man, if you only knew all of the garbage bills they wasted the first two months of this session on...it has been really frustrating.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Next week the MT Senate takes up this bill.

Another good letter in our local rag: Protect stream access | Letters to the Editor
Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 PM

mofish is on a distinguished road

The first senate hearing on this bill is tommorrow, March 8th. There is a rally against the bill planned at 2 PM, in the Old Supreme Court Chambers in the Capital Building in Helena. I can't make it (work) and an 8 hour drive round trip but I think there is going to be a good turnout.
The Montana fishing bloggers have really turned up the heat on this over the last month, and more people have gotten involved. If you can get elected using the internet, you ought to be able to kill a house bill!
Stay tuned:
Willfishforwork.com ? Montana Fly Fishing blog with river flows, guide information, reports, weather, fly shops, fly tying, photography and news from the outdoors.

If the senate actually passes this bill, the governor has the power to veto so be ready to flood Schweitzer's mailbox if this happens.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Thumbs up Re: Montana Stream Access Law - HB 309 - Help!!

The bill has been tabled! The news report said that the oppositional response was overwhelming. Victory! for now. They will be back, they always come back. Let's celebrate and take pride that democracy can work!

Thank you all that voiced your opinions!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, but this is just 'round one,' or 'two, or ...... To coin a phrase from an old movie: "They're baaaaaack."

And 'they' will be.

Take time to read through the following:

Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty
Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 PM

montuckylucky is on a distinguished road

I was sweating over that one. I would have become an overnight habitual trespasser.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 PM

scottj1990 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for bringing this to attention. We need lots of people like you to keep guys like me informed. Keep up the great work.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:21 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Right you are Dean, right you are:

"Montana - Population

Montana ranked 44th in population in the US with an estimated total of 909,453 in 2002, an increase of 0.8% since 2000. Between 1990 and 2000, Montana's population grew from 799,065 to 902,195, an increase of 12.9%. The population is projected to reach 1,006,000 by 2005 and 1.1 million by 2025. The population density in 2000 was 6.2 persons per sq mi, the 3rd-lowest in the country.

In 2000, the median age of all Montana residents was 37.5. In the same year, 25.5% of the populace were under the age of 18 while 13.4% were age 65 or older.

Montana had no cities with populations exceeding 100,000 in 2002. The largest cities and their estimated populations are Billings, 89,847, and Great Falls, 56,690."

If you subtract out the 'city populations' the 'per square mile population' drops to about .1 per square mile. Your point about killing the tourist industry is well on point. No disrespect intended to Montana, but other than hunting (which I don't do) or fishing, why would you drive 1,000 or more miles round trip? Well access to Yellowstone, but beyond that .... ?
This cracks me up.. I for one can't see any reason at all to go to oregon - lol