The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM

ezpickins is on a distinguished road
Default Roaring Fork / Frying Pan in August

I'm going to be out to fish the Pan and Roaring fork the week of August 10. Last year I was there a bit early for the great hatches (week after the fourth of july) - both rivers were still too high from the snow melt. Hopefully this year I'm not too late.

I've investigated some hatch charts in books and internet resources, but I was hoping somebody had some good first hand advice about what hatches to be prepared for that week.

Thanks from the tying bench
Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roaring Fork / Frying Pan in August

ezpickins: I was down there last weekend, but didn't do any fishing, the river was very high and wading looked dangerous. If you are referring to the Green Drake hatch I think Aug 10 might be late but who knows what will hapeen with all the high water and the constant afternoon thunderstorms adding water to the system. Here is a river report from Taylor Creek Fly Shop. Taylor Creek Fly Shops
The flow in Basalt is still at 2690 cfs.
Good luck with your fishing trip!

Larry
Old 07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I almost forgot that the Frying Pan Anglers web site has an archive of river reports from previous weeks/years that you might find interesting to read.

Frying Pan Anglers--archive of fly Fishing Reports

Larry
Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM

ezpickins is on a distinguished road

mcnerney,

Thanks for the links. The Frying Pan Anglers archive looks like it could be helpful for looking ahead to August 2009 (by looking back)to August 2008.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll be on the 'pan' next week then off to the Gunnison for a few days. I'll report what I find.
Racine
Old 07-31-2009, 11:56 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Frying Pan is HOT!

No, I didn't make it but 2 shops mentioned it was fishing too well with the downside that it was very crowded. A local angler verifed the crowded river and the parking as well so we canned that excursion. Maybe next year.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
No, I didn't make it but 2 shops mentioned it was fishing too well with the downside that it was very crowded. A local angler verifed the crowded river and the parking as well so we canned that excursion. Maybe next year.
Racine: Sorry you didn't make it to the Roaring Fork, this time of year the fishing is fabulous, but like you said it can get crowded especially on the weekends. I was planning on heading over there today but my son had a project come up so we rescheduled for next weekend.

Larry