The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snowy Mountains, WY

Here are some photos I took today while fishing in the Snowy Mtns west of Laramie, WY. I started fishing on French Creek, but the creek is still running high and I didn't feel safe wading (my balance isn't what it used to be when I was younger) so I quite after about 30 minutes. The next stop was the North Platte River at the Bennett Creek Campground. When I first got to the campground there were a number of guides launching boats for float trips. I should have taken a couple of shots of the campground because they have just finished revamping it and it is very beautiful. The North Platte is running just above 1,000 cfs and is very clear. I only saw one fish coming up to the surface even though there were a number of caddis and PMD's in the air, so I switched to nymphs after about 30 minutes. I spent the afternoon wading near the campground and hooked into four trout but didn't land any (guess I was practicing LDR "long distance releases", LOL!), but I still had a great time being outdoors fishing and the wx was great.

Here are some photos of the Snow

Larry
Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Snowy Mountains, WY

Thanks for the pics Larry. That's some beautiful country up there. God I love the Rockies.
It's been a strange year for drys so far. I'm guessing there's so much sub surface food because of the heavy flows that the trout don't need to exert themselves on the top.
Yat
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

quote:the trout don't need to exert themselves on the top.
Yat
lazy girls
nice pics Larry!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
quote:the trout don't need to exert themselves on the top.
Yat
lazy girls
nice pics Larry!
Nice catch there JB.
In my early morning daze that's not the exact word I should have used. It does hold true but more accurately I meant they really don't need to expose themselves. As in, to predators.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys! Yat I think you might be correct. Lots of food floating on the surface but the fish aren't looking up yet. Wish I could have stayed into the evening to see if the caddis hatch would bring the fish up but I had a dinner engagement.

Larry
Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

quote;Wish I could have stayed into the evening
That's time lazy girls go out after making up...with red and black spots
Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Thanks guys! Yat I think you might be correct. Lots of food floating on the surface but the fish aren't looking up yet. Wish I could have stayed into the evening to see if the caddis hatch would bring the fish up but I had a dinner engagement.

Larry
Yeah, it's weird. I was choking on caddis at the Dream Stream last week they were so thick, but not a riser to be seen. Did well on Barr's Graphic Caddis Pupa though.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Yeah, it's weird. I was choking on caddis at the Dream Stream last week they were so thick, but not a riser to be seen. Did well on Barr's Graphic Caddis Pupa though.
Yat: Thanks for the pointer, I'll keep that in mind the next time I see lots of caddis and nothing rising. Wish I had a few of those this past Saturday. Davo and I were floating the South Fork of the Snake about a month ago using streamers all day, and in the afternoon we saw some pretty good caddis hatches along the river, but very few fish come up to the surface. Davo told me that when the caddis hatch really gets going it is the same thing with it being hard to breath.

Larry
Old 04-12-2010, 05:14 PM

medicine bow is on a distinguished road

Very nice pics. I'm new here so i'm just working my way through the site. There's some really great fishing up in the Snowies. I've fished that area alot.

Some of the streams hold some really decent trout. The lakes up near the peak also have some really great fishing. It's a short season up there. Some of the lakes won't thaw until the end of June or early July.

The area is some of the finest country to be seen. With the Platte nearby it's an area you could really spend some time exploring. Anyone wishing to visit or fish the area should know the Snowy Range road doesn't usually open until Memorial Day and closes usually by the end of Sept. or early Oct.

The fishing really starts to pick up in July.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:16 PM

kingfish87 is on a distinguished road

Nice photos ! I too really love the Snowy Range. I've canoed down to Saratoga from Bennett's Peak campground any number of times. Great country.