The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Leyther is on a distinguished road
Default Animas River

Hey guys, I will be heading to Durango during the first week of August for a few days and wanted to spend some time fishing the Animas while I was there and was just wanting any advise that those familiar with the place can give.

I have done a little research into possible hatches around this time of year (BWO, various Caddis, Green Drakes, PMDs and various terrestrials) do intend to call Duranglers when the time gets a little closer, but for the moment I just wanted to narrow the choices/specifics/must haves down as it pertains to the fly selection and sizes.

If anyone has some experience of fishing the Durango area of the Animas during this time of year and can offer some advice, then it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Animas River

You might also check with Brian Capsay of The Caddis Company, an Orvis-Endorsed Guide also in Durango. In my experience he is very knowledgeable about fishing waters in the area. You didn't sound like you were looking for a guide, but if you are, he put me into some really big fish, including the largest Rainbow I've ever caught (even compared to the many I've caught in the San Juan).
Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM

mbenne is on a distinguished road

Leyther,

I should actually be up that way starting next week, so the last full week in July.

I'm flying up from Texas to get out of the heat. Duranglers is a great shop and I've been visiting them for years. I emailed them last week asking what I should be tying, they told me I should be looking into BWOs 16-20, PMDs in 18-20, Caddis in 16-20 and terrestrials.

I've gotten the BWOs and Caddis tied so far, along with a few caddis larva in 16-20. Tying a few Ant Acids in 14-16 next, and will probably run out of time before I have to head up next week.

I plan to fish the Animas at least for one full day while there (also doing a guide trip on the San Juan with Duranglers and a solo trip on the Dolores below McPhee.) I'll try to post a report if I get a chance, but my internet connection is pretty spotty at our cabin.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Leyther: You also might want to look into picking up a copy of this book: Fly Fishing Southern Colorado
an Anglers Guide by:
Craig Martin, Tom Knopick and John Flick.
Tom Knopick and John Flick co-own and operate Duranglers

Here is a link to Durangers river reports page: Durango Area Current Fly Fishing Conditions - Durango Downtown

As mbenne suggested I would give them a call and ask them what to expect during that time frame so you can tie the appropriate flies.

Larry
Old 07-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the information guys.

I went ahead and emailed Duranglers about what to expect during this time and they replied with: hoppers, caddis, prince nymphs and a few streamers. I will still make an effort to call into the store when I am there for more up-to-date information and of course, to purchase any necessary flies.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:41 AM

samuelpitamber is on a distinguished road

mbenne-

where in texas are you? i'm in san antonio. i'm planning on being up in the durango area the end of this month/beginning of august- sometime in there. would love to hit the river with you. beer's on me. btw- can i buy some flies off you?

let me know?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 AM

samuelpitamber is on a distinguished road

you too leyther. (see previous post) would love to meet up. when will you be there?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelpitamber View Post
you too leyther. (see previous post) would love to meet up. when will you be there?
We will be heading down from Denver the morning of August 5th and will be there until the Sunday, however I only plan to spend one day on the river (probably the Saturday) as we are primarily in town to visit my partner's family.

As for purchasing flies from me-- unfortunately I do not tie my own and just intend to pick up what I need for the day at Duranglers; hopefully in exchange for information on the river.

However if you are on the river during this time, it would be great to have a fishing buddy and of course a few beers afterward.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:10 PM

mbenne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelpitamber View Post
mbenne-

where in texas are you? i'm in san antonio. i'm planning on being up in the durango area the end of this month/beginning of august- sometime in there. would love to hit the river with you. beer's on me. btw- can i buy some flies off you?

let me know?
I'm in the North Austin area. I'm heading out Tuesday and will be back the following Tuesday. I'd totally sell you some flies if I had the time, but I honestly haven't even finished tying my own yet!

I'd honestly recommend hitting up Duranglers or another shop once you get up there. They can fix you up with what you need.

I had a change of plans and don't think I will be fishing the Animas; I am tentatively planning to fish Beaver Creek around South Fork instead with a buddy.

Hope you guys have a successful trip; I'll try to post a report when I get back.