The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 AM

tommyfost is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Summer Trip to Wind River Range

Hello everyone,

My brother and I are planning a trip to the winds this summer and I had a few questions. The plan as it is right now is to backpack into Titcomb Basin for a week and explore the waters around there.

First off, our main goal is getting out into relative seclusion while still having plenty of access to lakes and moving water. Someconcerns have come to light in my research as to the apparent high traffic that the winds gets. I have also talked with a few people that have disagreed saying that they only saw a handful of people in the backcountry, especially after about 5 miles. Does anyone have any insight as to what areas are more or less congested?

And second, the obvious question, is anyone willing to part with some info on spots for a couple of catch and release, no trace fisherman? Any help is very appreciated. Oh yeah, I won't spill any info if it is shared either.

Thanks guys,
Tommy
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Trip to Wind River Range

Tommy: Mark (2PawsRiver) made a trip into the Wind River Wilderness Area in 2008 and has a slideshow of the trip on his website. Untitled
Here is his trip report but it doesn't offer a lot of details:
Wyoming Wind River Report
You might send him a PM with specific questions.

A friend at work did a trip into the Winds a few years back, he mentioned seeing a few other hikers, but nothing I would call heavy use.

Larry

Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

I have been planning a similar trip and I pretty much came to the same questions you have! I'm waiting to see what happens with my girlfriend's job to determine if we head to the Winds or something closer to home.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

The bottom line is that the Wind Rivers is a huge range, but it is extremely popular with many outdoor people living all over the country (and world). Depending on what "real seclusion" is to you, you will see people in the Winds. Titcomb Basin is en route to some of the most popular mountaineering areas in the Winds. The closest TH to the TB is Elkhart Park, easily the most congested TH in the Winds. My point: expect lots of company.

As far as seclusion, I suggest you look into areas that are extremely remote like the Brown Cliffs region. I was up there last August and September and only saw a handful of people. I departed out of the Boulder Lake TH and went over the Divide at Hay Pass. There are some trophy alpine lakes in this area.

The Wind River Indian Reservation is a good place to get away from all crowds. You can hike to the Milky Lakes from Hay Pass or Angel Pass pretty easily (about 20-25 miles from the Boulder Lake or Elkhart Park TH). The area also has lots of unnamed lakes that are very nice to explore.

If you only have a week for your trip, and if you're looking for a good, easy hike that doesn't have the epic crowds is the Faler Lake area. Hiking out of the Green River Lakes TH takes you to the area quickly, about 7 miles or so. Faler is a great place to basecamp (and also holds goldens) and explore the areas many lakes and connecting streams. I have never been to this area, but I am just reporting what I have heard from reliable sources.

There are other lonely places in the Winds in which an angler could spend many summers exploring. I suggest you buy Earthwalk Press sets of maps for the Winds (two maps split the range into a North and South map), and go exploring on the maps. Another recommendation is the book, Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry by Osthoff. In one chapter, Osthoff does a very good job of describing hundreds of lakes in the Winds, and accessibility and popularity. But he only talks of the Winds in one chapter out of an entire book dedicated to the entire Rocky Mountain area.

I'm sorry to say that I have a few, secret places that I will never pinpoint. I discovered them on my own, and they have blessed me well. That's the beauty of the Winds - they're meant for exploring. Explore for yourself and you won't be disappointed.