The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 PM

freestoneangler is on a distinguished road
Default Pick One Before You Go

You've got one day to fish any river, anywhere with ideal conditions... which one would you pick?

"no matter where you go... there you are"
Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Pick One Before You Go

South Fork of the Snake, canyon stretch!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 AM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough

Although it's not in the Rockies, back where I grew up there was a very nice smallmouth river that meandered through cow pastures and old hills. My Uncle and I would spend whole days in the Summer wet wading our way upstream, dodging copperheads in the shallows between beautiful, deep holes filled with fiesty smallmouths and casting crawfish and popper patterns for miles. Then we'd turn around and do it all the way back to the truck.

Every time I fantasize about the perfect day's fly fishing, that's what I come back to.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The Skeena!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

south fork of the anchor river - second half of july.

ARFE
Old 02-27-2011, 03:10 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Easy for me. The mouth of Lake Aleknagik, in the first two weeks of July.
200,000 sockeye heading up river daily is an amazing migration.
The bows, grayling, dollies, and lakers following the run are only the icing on the cake.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Wading: The Big Hole, middle of October, section of river not disclosed!

Or floating: the box canyon of The Blackfoot.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I would pick the Norfolk in Arkansas out of the ones I've fished.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I got to say that this list is getting some really good choices. These are all great rivers and more good ones will be named. But like nerka mentioned, you just can't beat some of the Alaska rivers when the Salmon are running. My choice is the Kvichak at the braids. The Salmon runs in the Kvichak run in the millions. Some stopping and much more heading to many rivers feeding Lake Iliamna and the Kvichak. Fishing any of the rivers in this system is fantastic

Frank
Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Tsiu the week after Labor Day...I'll take silvers for a 1 day only gig. I hear it's gotten more crowded lately, but wow, what a little river...

-Mike