The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Colorado Stillwater Fishing

Here are some pictures from fisning in Colorado today. Hooked into six fish and landed four.
Here is a big brownie!
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
Old 08-01-2009, 10:36 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Larry,
Excellent day. Looks like you finally beat that bad thunderstorm mojo too.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yat: Thanks, but I don't think so, I'[m still keeping an eye over the shoulder. Yesterday I took the afternoon off work to go over to Steamboat to pick up my new boat cover. In the morning it was a cloudless blue sky so I was thinking I could probably ride the bike over and besides they were only calling for a 20% chance of thunderstorms. For some odd reason I decided to drive the truck and how glad am I that I did. The wx going over was pretty good except for som high winds, but when I got to Steamboat the north end of town was BLACK and by the time I got to Hog Island Boatworks the skies opened up big time. I parke dthe truck right in front of their door to minimize getting too wet. Going home it rained almost the entire way. Lots of bikers on the road headed to Sturgis and getting soaked! Today however, was a great day to be on the water.

Larry
Old 08-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Beautiful fish Larry. Looks like a nice time on the water.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Jimmie: Thanks, it was a great day. More oven than not I get blown off that lake with the afternoon thunderstorms. Even when the storms don't track right over the lake they can kick up some heavy winds and waves. I haven't been out there this year since I got my new anchor and a little longer anchor rope. Before when the winds kicked up my anchor wouldn't hold, the wind would slowly push me across the lake to the leeward side where I would wait out the storm, then go back to fishing......assuming there is no lightning, overwise I high tail it off the lake.

Larry
Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

hey mcnerny,

what are you using to catch browns in still water. the reservoirs i fish are said to have them but i've never caught one.

help would be appreciated. thanks

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
hey mcnerny,

what are you using to catch browns in still water. the reservoirs i fish are said to have them but i've never caught one.

help would be appreciated. thanks
I was using a size 16 black Chironomid with a fancy gold throat, that I tied up this past winter with a tan Calibaetis nymph as a dropper, but I didn' hook anything on the dropper. I'll post a pattern if I can find it. Here is a link to what I was using, scroll to the bottom where the pictures are and the one I was using is on the top row far right.
http://www.moorewallpaper.com/tackle...s-Buzzers.html
I switched out the dropper a number of times but never did get a hit on it, at least that I could tell. I was using a 12 ft leader 5x, with about a three foot tippet, 5x. I was adusting the indicator so that I was just above the weed beds, takes a little experimenting each time you move the boat. Fishing with Chironomids involves an excruciating slow retrieve, but it is very effective. When I first got on the water there was a good number of Calibaetis duns and damsel flies on the water but virtually no fish coming up after them. I think I saw maybe 12 rises all day. Good luck.

Larry