The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM

hercdiver is on a distinguished road
Default Colorado Springs fishing?

Going to be in Colorado Springs next week on business, and would appreciate any advice on where to fish in that area. Don't really want to hire a guide, would rather just find a stream or river with some trout in it and just fish it myself. Any help would be great.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Take hwy 24 west to Woodland Park, then head north on hwy 67 to Deckers, that will give you access to the South Platte. Or another possiblity is to continue past Woodland Park on hwy 24 to either Eleven Mile Canyon, Spinney Reservoir or the South Platte......you will need a map. Or you could continue on hwy 24 all the way to Poncho springs then head south on hwy 285 and fish the Arkansas River.

Larry
Old 08-04-2009, 04:48 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

What Larry said. IM me for more info.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Colorado Springs fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Take hwy 24 west to Woodland Park, then head north on hwy 67 to Deckers, that will give you access to the South Platte. Or another possiblity is to continue past Woodland Park on hwy 24 to either Eleven Mile Canyon, Spinney Reservoir or the South Platte......you will need a map. Or you could continue on hwy 24 all the way to Poncho springs then head south on hwy 285 and fish the Arkansas River.

Larry

that's plenty!

my recommendations out of that: 11 mile canyon and the "dream stream" between the 2 resevoirs (not in that order). they have good, well-marked access/parking, must be waded (no need for boat), and aren't tough to fish. the 2 mile tailrace called the "dream stream" is just UGLY! you'll have a blast. nothing but huge brown trout after huge brown trout all day. and they aren't really all that picky or spooky, either. i had 4 1/2 hours of daylight left, the river almost to myself, and i had to quit. my rod arm was so sore from keeping pressure on 4-8lb browns in the current that i stopped having fun. caught them on dries, nymphs, and scuds. had to change rigs a lot. pay attention and don't be satisfied w/"lulls" in the day. those fish are in there to eat! mostly the scuds...and they will MOVE to attack the right scud pattern on a dead drift.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 08-08-2009, 09:22 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

And just how vivid was this dream?
There will be no such fishing on the DS this time of year. The brown spawn can be very productive but now there are mainly resident fish. Some do go into the 6-8 pound range but they are not all over the place or easy to catch.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
And just how vivid was this dream?
There will be no such fishing on the DS this time of year. The brown spawn can be very productive but now there are mainly resident fish. Some do go into the 6-8 pound range but they are not all over the place or easy to catch.
yeah, that's what the "local" guide and the other "local" guy who rigged up in the same parking area as i did said. they left a bit miffed...the guide about noon and the other fella about 3pm after he found out i was fishing flies he didn't recommend to catch the fish he'd seen me catching.

i only caught 2 fish that ran over 6 lbs. 1 was pushing 8 for sure. but i didn't catch a single fish under 4 lbs. and i know i landed at least 17-18 fish between 7am and 4pm. i lost a fish that was well over 10 lbs.

i was on the upper mile. it was overcast all day and there was a god-awful caddis and small stonefly hatch coming off starting about 10am. at 2pm, the water came up, got a bit dirty and grassy. and that's when everyone left...but me. that's when the real fun began w/the scuds! big scuds on rising water is an ozarks special. and i spent the last decade living on ozarks trout rivers. so i knew better. also, big browns are interesting fish. the holes most anglers think are empty or dead may very well be holding a dominant brown who just won't come up very easily to a typical contemporary fly fisherman's offerings. they are apex predators. the other fish stay away from them. they lay down there and bushwack crayfish and small fish and big scuds. and they chase off any other game fish that cruise by. but in low visibility conditions (dawn, dusk, night, or off-color water) you can fool these trophy fish with the right offerings: big meaty versions of what they usually feed on presented in a natural way.

combine experience, knowledge, skill, and being in the right place at the right time and you get a fishing day like that every now and then. but believe me...those fish are in there!
UPSTREAM, publisher
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 AM

I know those holes of which you speak and you are right that they appear to be empty during the day when most are fishing. I know those browns are in there. Two weeks ago I nailed a 28" brown in one of those bend holes with a mouse pattern just after dark.
Sounds like the combination of rising water, full of scuds from the bottom release of the dam and rising turpidity developed a banner day for you. That's cool. Glad it worked for you.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 AM

what i did before the water came up to produce great results was the guys in the parking lot who are regulars there told me what they were going to fish, and i just replaced those patterns with something very similar that i know doesn't get fished in the rockies very much. it proved very effective. the fish had not seen these flies, but they looked like food. this is a very effective tactic in high pressure c&r fisheries like the dream stream section of the south platte. i call it throwing them a curve ball. and that is what seemed to ruffle their feathers when i was hauling in hawg after hawg.

it was a lot of fun. frankly, i just assumed that was a typical day of fishing for the river and was trying to figure out how to get my wife transferred to fort carson. lol
UPSTREAM, publisher
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 AM

I do much the same with my flies. Tweak the store bought patterns just enough to change up the look. I'm using less or no flash, and beads and going more toward a natural look for one thing. Beads that replicate an air bubble are ok.
Tell your wife to look closely at that transfer. Ft Carson is doing some major expanding over the next three years.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:02 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Since you guys are familiar with the area, maybe you can help with some road condition information. I have been thinking about a trip and trying to plan a route. I'm in Florida. Now, this is sort of odd but what I want to do is "sample" some of the streams with the idea I'll know better where to go on future trips. I'm flexible, I could start from Denver or Colorado Springs. What I was thinking is to go to Deckers (cause I've heard about it) then Cheeseman Canyon, then the Dream Stream. I was going to skip the two Reservoirs since I don't have a boat. I would camp out at the State Parks. From the Dream Stream I was going to drive over the range into Leadville BUT I don't know if that's practical or if I would be better off going back to Denver and into Leadville from another direction. I've heard the upper Arkansas isn't that great so I was going to skip it and from Leadville go up to Aspen and fish Roaring Fork and the Frying Pan. Then over Berthoud Pass into Grand Lake and the Colorado River. Over the Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park and fish Big Thompson within RMNP. If the St.Vrain or any other nearby streams are worth a cast please let me know.
And, if you could pick any time of year to make such a trip, what would be the best time?
Thanks.