The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Roaring Fork & frying pan

I am going to make my annual journey into the Rocky Mountains the last week of this august..I am going to try some new waters including the Roaring Fork & Frying pan rivers.. Any Suggestions other than I plan on getting a guide for a morning or two..?I am going to fish the Arkansas first for a day or two then cross over the big mountain..
Old 08-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Leyther is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Roaring Fork & frying pan

There are quite a number of rivers in the same area: the Taylor River about an hour from the Ark and is located west, over Cottonwood Pass from Highway 24 and Buena Vista. There is also the Eagle river located just west of Vail on the I-70 and Highway 6 which runs parallel to the river. Those are probably the two closest stretches of water to the rivers which you already intend to fish; further out of the way however is the Blue River and lower part of the Colorado River.

There are also numerous little streams, tribs and tailwaters in the area such as Lake, Clear, Ruedi and Ten-mile Creek to name but a few.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've fished both near Basalt and will say that they are quite alot of fun. The Taylor Creek Fly Shop there in Basalt is one of the best that I know of, and surely could set you up with a good guide. I'd recommend doing at least one day as a float trip.

If you wade the Roaring Fork on your own, be careful. That thing is very aptly named.

I'd also keep an open mind about possibly floating the Colorado instead. I'm fairly sure that shop floats it too and I've heard tales of amazed wonderment about how great it is at certain times of the year.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a very good trip put together. Leyther makes a good point about sampling the Taylor (just above Gunnison) on the way over to the Carbondale/Basalt area, if you have the time. It would be a worthwhile side detour. If you are up on I-70 past the Vail area (headed west), if you get off at exit 157 at a little spot called Wolcott and then you can take hwy 6 into Gypsum. Hwy 6 follows the Eagle river and there are a number of public access points marked along that stretch. I haven't fished it but it looks like good water. In the Basalt area I really like the river report that the Taylor Creek fly shop puts out, here is the link: http://www.taylorcreek.com/river.htm
I'm sure they are a great shop as Big Cliff recommends but I like to use Frying Pan Anglers in Basalt as their trip prices are a little less and they provide excellent service as well. Whether or not you use a guide, I would highly recommend getting a river map of the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork (one map) and then another of the Ark. You can pick them up in most of the local fly shops. The river maps will detail the public access points which is critical if wading (remember in Colorado the land owner owns the river bed) so be sure to stay on public easements. If you plan on tackling the Frying Pan and are not familiar with fishing tailwaters, I would highly recommend getting a copy of Pat Dorsey's new book called Fly Fishing Tailwaters. The water is normally crystal clear and you are fishing to big fish that get hammered from lots of fishing pressure so 6x/7x leaders and small flies are the name of the game, but sight fishing can be lots of fun. You will see a lot less pressure if fishing M-F, instead of the weekends. Here is a link if interested in Pat's bool: http://www.bluequillangler.com/Blue-...ers-Pat-Dorsey. In the Basalt area you also have the Crystal River that exits into the Roaring Fork at Carbondale. If you go south out of Carbondale on hwy 133 you will follow the Crystal River and there are a good number of public access points. The Colorado River flows through Glenwood Springs, it is a big river in that area and generally not wader friendly, but there is a bike path heading along I70 that gives an angler a chance to fish from the rocks.

Larry
Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I just spent the entire month of July on the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork. Both are great rivers. I was in a house along Frying Pan Road and I fished 80% of the time on the Pan. The Pan quickly became my favorite trout river. It has earned its reputation. The dry fly fishing the last 10 days I was there was outstanding. I only fished dries during that time and caught more than my share of Browns and Bows. The Green Drake hatch is a near religious experience and something that all fly anglers should experience. The Roaring Fork is outstanding as well. The fish I caught there were wild and fought extremely hard. While the majority of my fishing on the Pan was with a 4wt. I went with the 6wt on the Roaring Fork. The fish are healthy and solid muscle. I agree with what BigCliff said. The Fork is swift and make sure you are careful when you wade it. A wading staff is highly recommended. I did a day float on the Colorado below Glenwood Springs and it was outstanding as well. I was a little leary of it, but there were plenty of big willing fish. Well worth the trip and we did not see another angler floating the river the entire day.

Taylor Creek is a good shop staffed with friendly and knowledgable folks. They definitely have more in the way of goods. However, I would recommend Fryingpan Anglers if you are looking for a guide. Ask for Dan Cone or Mike. They will both do you right and the rates are reasonable. When you pay for a full day you get a full 8 hours of fishing. They also have the largest fly selection I have seen in any shop. Believe me. I was in there plenty over the course of the month. I found patterns in there that I could not find in other shops. They also have some cabins for rent. I did not stay there so I cannot comment on the accomodations. However, if you do stay in the cabins you get access to fish a stretch of private water right by the cabins. On the Pan this is a big plus as the number of anglers on the river can be high.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM

sandy is on a distinguished road

Hey big guy, how was the trip? Did you fish out of Taylor Creek--I know a guide there, but did not discover this forum until after you left.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:07 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

Sandy I never got north of the Taylor.. I went there first and found the folks at the fly shop there most friendly I booked two trips there caught Kokinee, rainbow and browns..4 days later I went on down to the Conejos river and fished with a guide called Coach.. He led me to his ranch and I fished private water that has many improvements that surpass our own on the lwmf..I Caught several 18 to 20 inch rainbow and had several larger brake me off.. It was great fishing and had no problems pulling my refurbished vintage Scamp trailer..I'm heading back again next year..MikeLove
Old 09-03-2009, 03:17 PM

sandy is on a distinguished road

you fished out of TAYLOR creek FLY shop? did you meet Thomas Clennon? Sounds like a great trip> As soon as my hand heals up, I'm going to have to nudge you out of your spot on Evening Hole.