The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 AM

wayne is on a distinguished road
Default Utah or Colorado for trip ?

The 3rd week in September my wife and I will be in Colorado. We will be in Telluride for one day and the tentative plan was to drive to Moab, UT.

I'm hoping to do a fly fishing float trip for 1 day and wade the next two.

Coming from the east coast and light on fly fishing experience, I'm looking for numbers of fish verses trophies. My immediate thought was Green River near Moab but want help from the online experts.

Any recommendation from the group on a guide and river/s to try in that area?

Thanks

Wayne
Old 08-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utah or Colorado for trip ?

Wayne: I have never fished by Telluride, but I'm guessing there are some great little streams in the area. About an hour out of Durango is the San Juan River (tailwater) and it provides some awesome fishing. I have fished it four times using Duranglers fly shop. The guide I have used is Mark Engles (excellent guide, who has fished that river for over 20 years). If I was coming from the east coast, a float on the San Juan River would be a most stop or maybe the Green River up by Flaming Gorge Reservoir.
http://duranglers.com/
Moab is in the desert, the Colorado River flows through there but I don't think it would be good trout water in that area. The Green River below Flaming Gorge Reservoir provides some awesome fishing. I have fished with Trout Creek Flies in Dutch John, UT. http://www.fishgreenriver.com/
The river from the put in at the dam flows through a steep walled canyon and the river is crystal clear. As you float down stream the fish will scurry from the shadow of the boat, it is a spectacular sight, but on average you will catch larger fish on the San Juan.

Larry
Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Mac's correct. Moab is for mountain biking. Slick rock riding. The famous part of the Green which you're referring too, is about 300+ mi. north. By the Wyo, North eastern Utah border.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 AM

wayne is on a distinguished road

I'll do some research on the San Juan and limit my time in Moab. Thank you for the information.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM

newtofly is on a distinguished road

Just a rookies 2 cents. From telluride you are very close to the gunnison river. If you are wanting a float trip why not the Black canyon of the gunnison. Just a thought.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofly View Post
Just a rookies 2 cents. From telluride you are very close to the gunnison river. If you are wanting a float trip why not the Black canyon of the gunnison. Just a thought.
Very good point, the Gunnison would indeed be closer. Do a Goggle search for
black canyon of the gunnison fly fishing and you should find a few different outfits offering float in the Black Canyon. Here is just one:
http://www.blackcanyonanglers.com/fishing.html

Larry
Old 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM

Cleep1700 is on a distinguished road

Just got back from fishing the Taylor just north of Gunnison. Great fishing and guiding from WillowFly Anglers.