The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Trip out West , Somewhere?

I'm planning on retiring next March & would like to take a 3-4 wk driving trip out west as a present to myself for 37 yrs with the same Co. I plan on loading up the freestyle with some extra underwear, a bunch of fishing stuff & a sleeping bag & heading out west from NJ. I've been to the San Juan, Animas, Frying Pan, Roaring Fork so far & would like to hit the Yellowstone area & the Madison as part of this trip. My main guestions are ,1: Are the rivers fishable this time of year or should I put it off for a month or so. 2: What are some of the " Must Fish Rivers " in the Rocky Mtn. States, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, or the Dakotas? I can get the info elsewhere but you guys fish these waters all the time & I feel this is the best place to get the info..
Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip out West , Somewhere?

All the rivers around here (WY) will be frozen solid in March except for the tailwaters. Last year I went over to the in-laws at Easter and had a very difficult time getting to the Roaring Fork due to the snow drifts fromthe plows. MT is a ways north from here so it will be much the same (WINTER). You might want to come later in the year if at all possible. Here are some ideas on waters in the west that you would enjoy fishing: Bighorn River near Ft Smith, MT, Green River, near Dutch John, UT (below the Flaming Gorge Reservoir), The South Fork of the Snake River, in Swan Valley, UT (below Palisades Reservoir), the Grey Reef section of the North Platte River near Casper, WY.

Larry
Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip out West , Somewhere?

I'm not from that area, but Marty and I enjoyed fishing the Paradise Valley/Yellowstone area in the early Fall of 2007. We fished out of Livingston, MT and did day trips to some of the local waters. Places that we liked included: the Yellowstone (floating), the Gallatin (floating), the Madison (wading; further up towards the park), Anderson's Spring Creek (wading), and Burns Lake (floating). Then, in the park: the Firehole, the Nez Perce, the Gardner, the Lamar and Slough Creek (all wading). Slough Creek is a hike if you're on foot, but if you get up past the second meadow, then the fishing is worth the trip! It's definitely on our list of places to go back and fish.