The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 PM

mmorgan is on a distinguished road
Default Went to the Dream Stream today

Tough day today but only my 3rd time ever fly fishing, and 2nd in CO. I only caught 3 small browns of the 8-10 inch variety and those little 3-incher juveniles were annoying, reeled in a bunch of those.

There was a hatch at times, looked like BWOs. I saw some fish rise but it was by no means a top water buffet. I nymphed mostly with a pheasant tail and trailed either a caddis larvae (caught most fish on this) or a PMD or BWO emerger. I didn't spot many fish, but did see a couple hogs in the weed beds. Tried a few casts from behind them, nothing happening.

I did try a dry with a pheasant tail dropper. Biggest problem I am having is seeing my darn trico--and it is a high vis pattern (#18 I think). My near vision stinks but distant is OK...I guess it is an acquired skill. With the bubbles, riffles and glare I went back to a nymph rig.

For all the raves the Dream Stream gets it is tough, I guess you need to be fairly accomplished to catch big fish in there.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Colorado New Guy

Mmorgan,
First of all let me say welcome to the forum. You will find people here friendly and very willing to help you progress in your fly fishing.
Now, the Dream Stream. Right now the flows have been hovering around 120cfs, give or take a few cfs either way, for the last couple of weeks. At these levels the water is gin clear and shallow. Many of the bigger transient fish have retreated to the cold depths of 11 mile res. That is not to say there are no large resident fish to be had. They are there for sure but these are fish that didn't get big by being stupid.
The most important things to remember under these conditions are stealth and presentation. Sneaking up on those fish is not an easy task. They can even feel your foot falls vibrate as you walk the shoreline. Best approach is low and slow. When you find a fish to cast to pass him by and position yourself below and at a 45 degree angle to the fish if possible. This is an optimum and not difficult to achieve on this river as there are few obstacles on shore.
As for presentation. This is the most important part of fly fishing no matter where you fish. A drag free drift is essential. I would highly suggest you hire a guide for a half day at least for some on river instruction on getting a drag free drift. The investment will pay big dividends and advance your techniques much quicker than trial and error. Your guide will also be able to give valuable tips on rigging, reading the river and choice of flies.
The good news is the brown spawn is just around the corner for the Dream Stream. The bad news is everybody knows it.
Perhaps we can wet a line together in the future.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Went to the Dream Stream today

I just moved to the Woodland Park area myself and haven't fished any of the famous water around here just yet, but my two cents of helpful advice would be to maybe try some of the harder to reach, hike-in water. It may be naivety on my part due overwhelming popularity of the water around here, but most places I've lived and fished had their areas where fewer people went simply because it was harder to get there. You could hone your skills there (if it exists) and then test yourself on the bigger, more educated fish in the more popular areas.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:14 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Went to the Dream Stream today

FarceFiasco,
Welcome the the forum and to the neighborhood. There really aren't any hike in areas close to town other than a few very small creeks that would be very difficult to fish for a newbie, or an intermediate fisherman for that matter. I would recommend the lower section of the Platte, below Deckers. It's not very crowded for the most part and is wide and open enough to get your chops up to snuff.
If you are interested in doing some hike in fishing do some research on the Lost Creek Wilderness Area. It's a huge area and there are lots of good fishing ops there. And there are very, very few people. Just keep in mind you need to find spots not affected by the Hayman Fire of '02.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Yatahey,

Thanks for the info. We're settled in the new house and I'm ready to start doing a little bit more fishing. I've been to Deckers and 11-Mile already and caught several, nice fish and enjoyed the scenery.

Thanks for the info on the wilderness area...that is definitely my kind of spot! As soon as the new 4-wt. comes in, I'm going to try and get out there.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 PM

I fished one of those small creeks this evening. I landed a few, wild brown trout, one about 10 inches long. Very nice fishing and not a soul in sight....besides the hundreds driving by on either side.

The last couple years of stalking wild brookies in small, thick, NC mountain streams finally paid off.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 AM

blakejd will become famous soon enough

Its a bit late with the tricos dropping off for the season but in response to the first post I think in general your shooting yourself in the foot by using a dropper rig. If the fish are zeroed on the tricos your taking a shot in the dark by tagging a nymph after it and it will effect your presentation greatly which can make a big difference in 11mile. Thats not to say droppers aren't great in 11mile. Just not if your fishing a trico spinner.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 PM

frankg813 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Also my first post....and I too am learning to fly fish. Since I have to drive at least 100 miles for any sort of fishing, I'm having to do most of my learning through the net and publications (books etc). However, I bit the bullet and hired a guide on a recent trip to the Animas River in Durango Colorado. This was a great learning experience. After just a half day's trip, we learned to cast, learned to use waders and other equipment. I felt I hit the ground running and it was far more beneficial than book learning. It was not cheap, but when you compare it to all the time I would have to learn it otherwise, I believe it all balances out. Great fishing, great guide, great experience. Just my two cents.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Welcome and have some fun to.