The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 AM

mmorgan is on a distinguished road
Default Colorado New Guy

Hey everyone, my first post. I'm just getting into fly fishing, learning curve is steeper than I thought. I went for the first time last weekend to Elevenmile Canyon (South Platte). I caught a couple and lost several--but was frustrated by all the fish I saw up close that didn't take, especially during the "spinner fall" hatch I observed. I mostly fished a dry #20 trico parachute with a pheasant tail dropper using 5x tippet and a 7 1/2 foot 5x leader. Not sure I was rigged properly and that little white trico was almost impossible to see.

I want to hit the Dream Stream next week and am looking for suggestions on terminal tackle set up--6X? Dry with a dropper? Nymph only if none are rising?

I really want to figure this out and get better--learn the basics this fall, get over the steep learning curve, and build some confidence. Any suggestions are helpful and appreciated as well as any other places on the Front Range that are good for a guy just starting out. Oh, my rod is a 9 ft 5 wt if that helps.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado New Guy

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. I don't fish that area so I can't give you specifics. I would suggest that you talk to one of the local fly shops and look at their river reports. Here is just one that you might want to look at (Blue Quill Angler) http://www.bluequillangler.com/
Also you might want to pick up a copy of Pat Dorsey's book "A Fly-Fishing Guide to the South Platte River" or his latest book "Fly Fishing Tailwaters". Also ask around to see if there is a local fly fishing club in your vacinity. Joining a local club and getting first hand help will improve your fly fishing capabilities imensely. You might also check to see if there is a local Trout Unlimited in your area. Good luck.

Larry
Old 09-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi mmorgan,

Welcome to the group. Try Flies & Lies at Deckers, hope the shop is still there. They should be able to make some recommendations for terminal tackle. Also we have a member here, Yatahey, who fishes that river often and really knows his stuff. Look for his posts and then PM him.

I used to live in CO. Springs and fished the S. Platte often. I would use a longer leader and for #20's at least a 6X floro tippet if not a 7X. If you are looking at the fish they are looking at you. You are not the first person they have seen so be cautious about approaching too close.

Good to hear you're having fun,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys, I'll defintely look for Yatahey's posts. I pre-ordered Pat Dorsey's book--I'm sure it will be helpful and informative. I have next week off and plan to get out again a couple times, might even hire a guide for a half-day to get me going in the right direction.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just sent you a PM.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
Thanks guys, I'll defintely look for Yatahey's posts. I pre-ordered Pat Dorsey's book--I'm sure it will be helpful and informative. I have next week off and plan to get out again a couple times, might even hire a guide for a half-day to get me going in the right direction.
Sounds like your headed in the right direction, you have a lot to learn but it is a fun journey. Keep us posted on your fishing trips and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Larry
Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

mmorgan,

Again, welcome. First of all, it sounds like you did pretty well in Elevenmile if you are truly new to the sport. While it is not the most technical section of the South Platte, it is no fish farm either. If you caught a couple, and hooked some others, you are getting the idea.

I live on the Front Range and fish the South Platte probably 40 times a year, including Elevenmile and the Dream Stream. Flies and Lies is still in Deckers and they are an amazing resource. Go in, ask a few questions, buy some flies, and they will treat you right. You might also try the Peak fly shop in Woodland Park for Elevenmile advice. Better yet. Hire a guide for a half day and learn from the pros.

As far as suggestions, I agree with Ard. A good rig to go with at this stage in your fly fishing career is a 9 foot 6X leader with 6x tippet if the water is gin clear or the fish are ultra spooky. If you have a good feel for playing fish, go with 7X tippet. As for flies, the smaller the better is a general rule of thumb, but I catch most of my fish in the warmer months on flies that are size 16-20 depending on the hatch. In the winter, size 18-24.

The thing about the trico fall in Elevenmile is that there are often so many naturals on the water, your imitation looks like an obvious fraud. Plus, the odds are diminished and not in your favor. With hundreds of opportunities available, the odds the fish will take your one tiny fly when they have so much to choose from is much lower. There's just too much competition. This can also happen in a prolific caddis hatch.

As for the Dream Stream, I have two pieces of advice: Be stealthy, and use a dead drift. These fish are not impossible to catch by any means, but they do not fool easily. Be careful of your shadow, don't splash too much, approach from the rear, don't walk right next to the river, keep a low profile...be as invisible as possible. And if you hook into a pig, be ready to move down river and play the fish because they are smart even when they get hooked.

Good luck. I am no expert, but fish the S. Platte an awful lot. I am always happy to answer questions but love to hear others' advice.

Gary
Old 09-07-2009, 04:55 PM

Gary

I actually bought all my gear from the Peak Ply Shop, they have a location in N. Colo Springs too not far from where I live. I took their class, it was enough to get started but I have a ways to go. I'm going up to Spinney Mountain Ranch on Weds or Thurs to spend the day on the Dream Stream. Will see how it goes. Hopefully being mid-week it will not be to crowded.

Mike
Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Mike: Buying your gear from the local fly shop was a smart move. Be sure to keep up a relationship with them and don't hesitate to stop in and pick their brains a bit about techniques to fish the Dream Stream and buy a few flies for their information.

Larry
Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Yep Larry agree, they have offered a lot of advice, I'm stopping in there tomorrow to get some more, a stream report, and a few more flies. Nice folks. Their store is always busy, looks like business is booming. A good thing.