The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 05:03 PM

mmorgan is on a distinguished road
Default I saw a bear....

I took my son up to one of the Air Force Academy lakes this morning (Deadman's Lake) to go fishing. Out of the brush about 100 yards away came a mother black bear and two cubs. The cubs were fairly good size, not the teddy bear variety. One of the cubs began splashing around in the lake. They eventually wandered off into the brush again but evidently one of the cubs wandered astray and came back. It starting walking down the trail towards us, stood on its hind legs and started growling at us, about 50 yards away now. I thought momma was going to be back any minute. Problem was the mother and other cub wandered in the direction of the parking area--between us and the truck. We just backed away and kept our distance. Eventually the cub ran off into the brush again and other people began arriving which made us feel safer. We made a bee-line for the truck and decided it was time to go home for the day. We probably could have stayed there but thought hanging around if a bear has been sighted, especially ones that don't seem particularly afraid of people, was unwise.

Amazing how some guy decided he would wander back over there with his cell phone camera to try and take a picture. Go figure. I always thought it was best to leave bears alone, especially mothers with cubs.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I saw a bear....

[QUOTE= We probably could have stayed there but thought hanging around if a bear has been sighted, especially ones that don't seem particularly afraid of people, was unwise.

Amazing how some guy decided he would wander back over there with his cell phone camera to try and take a picture. Go figure. I always thought it was best to leave bears alone, especially mothers with cubs.[/QUOTE]

Good move, I wouldn't stay around either. A sow with two cubs is just not good karma! Yes it is amazing how stupid some people are. You see YouTube videos of dumb folks in Yellowstone that just have to get real close for a picture of the wild animals and then something unusual happens, like the animal charges.......go figure.

Larry
Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 PM

mmorgan is on a distinguished road

The only place I care to see a black bear, or mountain lion for that matter, is in a zoo. I don't trust 'em.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I think the key here is "unafraid of humans". If fear of lions, bears or wolves was a good reason to stop fishing, many great remote areas in Montana and Wyoming would be virgin waters.

Some friends and I encountered a grizzly years ago hiking deep in the bighorn mountains, Wyo. The Bear was 100+/- yards (crow flies) across a valley pulling apart a log in a small group of aspens. The wind was moving down the valley but somehow it detected us..or at least looked right in our direction. We were 7 miles from the closest road. The bear moved into the trees headed up the valley (same direction we were headed). The trail we were on crested the ridge up another 300 yards or so and went down the other side away from the adjacent valley. We carried on but you could cut the tension between us through to the next evening. Our emaginations ran wild that night.