The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 PM

bighorn flies has a spectacular aura aboutbighorn flies has a spectacular aura about
Default Taking pictures through a magnifying glass

My camera isn't very good and I needed to post pictures on my website so people could see the flies that they were buying, so I decided to take the pictures through the magnifying glass of my fly tying light. A lot of the pictures actually turned out really good but some of the others only turned out O.K. What can I do to make the pictures turn out better with my limited resources?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking pictures through a magnifying glass

Don't know what kind of camera you have, but you really need one with macro capability to take pics of small things. You also need a tripod or camera stand and make sure you use soft light to light the flies. Your background needs to be white or a color that compliments the colors of the flies. You also want (if possible) to seperate the fly from the background by a couple inches.

You can buy a mini photo studio from ebay or amazon and they run from 15 to 50.00 - the $40 or $50 at amazon has a camera stand, 2 lights and 4 backgrounds. If your handy, and do a little research on the web, you can probably build your own for under $20.00.

d
Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on the forum for posts by Tob1 (Trygve), awhile back he recommended picking up a used Nikon 900, 955 or 4500 (they all have macro capability) and he also did another post on the procedures to take quality photos of flies.

Larry
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

With limited funds available I would begin watching eBay for a used Nikon Cool Pix 6000. They are a compact digital camera with a macro capability.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn flies View Post
My camera isn't very good and I needed to post pictures on my website so people could see the flies that they were buying, so I decided to take the pictures through the magnifying glass of my fly tying light. A lot of the pictures actually turned out really good but some of the others only turned out O.K. What can I do to make the pictures turn out better with my limited resources?
You have to spend money to make money. Crappy photo'd flies won't sell. I would think twice about buying from a guy that has bad pictures of their product. Bad pics = badly tied flies (it's a mind thing). Get yourself a good camera (like all the others said) and take some good pictures of your flies. It'll help pay for your camera.
In the meantime borrow a friends camera, 8-10 mega pixels and macro setting, and shoot away. How many flies are you going to photograph anyway?
Would you buy a fly like this?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Mojo,

I would like the recipe for that beauty if you don't mind a PM would be appreciated.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 AM

bighorn flies has a spectacular aura aboutbighorn flies has a spectacular aura about

That's the kind of detail that I am looking for in my pictures, Bright and Colorful. I know absolutely nothing about cameras and didn't even hear about macro capabilities until now. I Love the Fly by the way, very nicely done. I appreciate all of the advice and I'm going to invest in a camera with macro capabilities. Any suggestions on one that will take a clear crisp picture of let's say a size 22 electric midge? Oh and I'll be photographing about 150 different flies ranging from streamers to midges.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

BHF, here's a link to something I think you and others might be able to put to use. It's on pbase and it's how to build a light tent for photography. http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
Very simple, very inexpensive, but it really brings out the best in what you want to photograph. Here's some examples of using the light tent and my Canon Rebel. It's an 8 meg. Just use a tripod, the stock lens.
It's easy. I'm not a very good photographer, but it makes me appear to be a fairly decent one. Different backgrounds will do different things to your flies. Experiment.