The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Montana River's spring runoff dates

I remember from the last few years on this forum that people are going to be at least 30 topics asking about spring runoff.

It is impossible to predict this far out, but so far the snowpack in the mountains this year is very similar to the snowpack last year.

Here are the dates, and the links that show last years spring runoff numbers

Rock Creek
USGS Surface Water data for USA: USGS Surface-Water Daily Statistics

Spring runoff lasts from middle of may to early july - In a different thread Dean_MT stated that people float fish Rock creek during runoff, but he also said wade fishing is next to impossible during this time.

Bighole river

Spring runoff lasts from late may to the second week of July

Gallatin River

Spring runoff lasts from late may to the second week of July - The river is almost always fishable in the short stretch above Taylors fork. The canyon section is fishable during runoff, but fishing the lower gallatin during spring runoff can be frustrating.

East Gallatin River
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dvsta...selection_list

Spring Runoff lasts from late march through middle of July. This river is extremely difficult to fish during runoff, and has an extremely long runoff period. There are much better springtime options.

Yellowstone River

Runoff lasts from middle of may well into July, the river is fishable in july runoff, but people die on the yellowstone. Pretty much expert rowers only until august.

Madison River(upper)

Runoff is only the middle of June, this is my goto spring fishery.

Madison River(lower)

Runoff is all of June, however beartrap canyon is still easily fishable when flows are below 3000cfs.

Bighorn River

Runoff is from late May to early July

Beaverhead

Runoff is from early June to early August.

Stillwater river

Runoff is late May to early August

These are last years numbers, just because a river was in runoff last year at a certain time does not mean it is going to be in runoff this year. A week of 90 degree weather in mid may and all these dates can be moved up by a few weeks.

Last edited by MTskibum; 04-03-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Montana River's spring runoff dates

Montana Ski Bum,

Great resource you took the time to tabulate and put out here. I'm hoping one of the Administrators or Moderators will make it a "Sticky", since I see it being used every year and, as you say, there are a bunch of inquiries on this every year.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 03-21-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Montana River's spring runoff dates

Yeah, nice work Skibum. I love the USGS tables, that was a bit of work pulling all those together, thanks.

I just glanced at the Rock Creek chart - it doubled in four days in mid May. And not just doubled but went from a high but very fishable 535 to lethal 1060! In four days! That is amazing. And as with the Yellowstone, this is for experts with familiarity of the river, only. A guide not familiar with the upper channels took the wrong one last year and died.

It's gonna be another blowout this year, now it's just a matter of when....
Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 PM

whitefish_slayer is on a distinguished road

Good call on the creek man, last year run off coincided with the salmon fly hatch.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I was in West Yellowstone and Island Park (ID) yesterday... They have so much snow up there, I was surprised.

Down here (Bozeman) - all the snow in my yard was gone (then got a little last night), up there.. cars were buried. As soon as you get to about 5,500 - 6,000 feet - it's definitely still winter.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

MTskibum: I have to agree with the others, very nice work!

Larry

Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Thanks MTskibum! This is a very helpful resource.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Skibum

Nice timely and useful post!!! Nice of you to put that together for everybody!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures