The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 AM

bmfa is on a distinguished road
Default Moving in June to Colorado, need advice..

Hello Guys, Making the big move from Northern Michigan back to my hometown of Fort Collins, Colorado in mid June. I have'nt lived there in over 20 years, but have been back a few times in the past 2 years and WOW what a difference. Anyways, I used to fish the Poudre alot and was wondering what other rivers should I be looking at within a 2 hour drive? Never really fished alot growing up. Back then the Poudre was a put in take fisheries it seemed with alot of stocker rainbows, is it still like that? Never fished the Big Thompson, hows that and the St. Vrain stack up to the Poudre? What other rivers would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated. I am with the local TU here in Grayling, the Mason Griffith Founders Chapter, the birthplace of Trout Unlimited on the AuSable River. Would like to get into the local TU when I get there also. I am an avid nymph fisherman although most of the rivers up here are dry fly heaven, I enjoy nymphing. Thanks for the all the insight and hope to meet some local fly anglers when I arrive...
Thanks again and sorry about the rambling on, Bob
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving in June to Colorado, need advice..

That really stinks, having to move out of Grayling!! You've been spoiled by wild trout and dry fly fishing for 20 years now...not sure how you leave that! The first time I went into Gates Lodge shop looking for some nymphs they replied "we don't fish underwater here". It sure is dry fly heaven, my first trip is lining up with sulpher season this year. Good luck and many tight lines to you in Colorado.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks ausablebrown, Lots of snooty purist types around here I've learned over the years. Looking forwards to some bigger and better water out west thats for sure. Nothing against the AuSable but after 20 years I pretty much know the mainstream like the back of my hand and its just too predictable.
Good luck to you during the sulphur hatch. Catch a toad for me...

Last edited by bmfa; 03-22-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

I've never fished the St Vrain, but the Big Thompson is great. Downstream of Waltonia Bridge down to Drake is a great stretch.

Even though I've driven up the Poudre Canyon dozens of times, I've never fished it. It has a state hatchery on it, and I see tons of anglers, so it must produce well.

At the top of the Poudre, I like to fish Long Draw Res, Joe Wright Res, and Chambers Lake. And the Laramie River is a fun little treat.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

You are going to love the Fort Collins area plenty of fishing. I have included the address for a blog that is centered around the Poudre River and is a great resource for nymph and midge fishing.
Poudre Canyon Chronicles
From Fort Collins you are just a couple of hours from more good water than you will probably ever fish. The Big Thompson, Blue River, St. Vrain, Colorado River, North Platte, and the Poudre River are all within just a couple hours and offer great fishing, the Thompson and Blue can be fished year round. There are many smaller streams sprinkled through out Rocky Mountain National Park and Cherokee Park (north on 287 on the way to Laramie, Wyo) that have great fishing opportunities. Enjoy the fishing.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks guys for the replies, I'm very excited to get back out there. Counting down the days I am so looking forward to nymphing some good pocket water, I enjoy fishing drys but getting in the zone when you're nymph fishing is the greatest...