The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Flat head east fork - Bob Marshall

Anyone here fish the Flat head river or east fork of it up in the bob marshall wilderness. My son lives and works in Polson Mt as a Raft guide on the Flathead but doesn't fly fish. I can find several guides in that area but looking for inside info...best access, best guide service etc.

Any fishing inside a day's hike or does it really take two days to get in there?

What about the Flat head below Polson Mt? Any other "better" rivers in the Polsen/Kalispel area? There is alot of water in there....
Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flat head east fork - Bob Marshall

Do mean the South Fork Flathead? That is the river in the Bob that you would want to fish, if you got in there. Are you asking what it takes to get a raft in there or just to fish it?

The South Fork is deep in the wilderness but you can drive around the Hungry Horse Reservoir to the wilderness boundary and hike up the river if you just wanted to fish it for a day trip. The reason the South Fork is special is that the HH Dam has blocked the migration up the river, and since the majority of the drainage is in wilderness it is 100% native...pure, unadulterated Westslope Cutthroat Trout and Bull Trout. And no roads.

You could hire a packer to take you and your raft and gear in and then float out. A friend on mine did that a few years ago. It's a big trip and one I dream about. They went in from the South, up Monture Ck off HWY 200, if you want to look at some maps.

I've never fished the Flathead below Polson, but you should definitely give it a try. It would be a beautiful float, that country is wonderful and I have a feeling it fishes good enough, yet no one really talks about it. Otherwise, from Polson - Missoula is nearly as close as Kalispell and worth the extra few miles for the way better fishing opportunity. You are close enough to the Clark Fork to make it a must fish.

The North Fork of the Flathead, which is the western boundary of Glacier Park is a special place to take in spectacular scenery, fish deep emerald holes and generally feel really small in a metaphysical sort of way. The rivers up there do not have the numbers of fish, but the solitude and scenery is worth it.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Futuramille

If you wish you can PM me and I can give you the phone number to a wonderful guide out of Whitefish. I don't know if he guides into the "Bob" but if he doesn't he will certainly know who does. He is a great guy and will not steer you wrong.

Dave