The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM

drakewoodie will become famous soon enough
Default Eleveen Mile Canyon, Colorado April 1st-5th whats the snow like?

Hey planning on camping out there this coming weekend and wondering if anyone can tell me what the snow on the ground is like we camped out there last year same weekend aand the only snow was in the shade but looks like its snowing there this week wondering what to expect? I would be grateful for any report
Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Eleveen Mile Canyon, Colorado April 1st-5th whats the snow like?

It's about what you described: mostly in the shaded areas. We're about to have a warm spell up here (60's at Lake George), so it should be pretty nice.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM

Awesome thanks for the report sucks that its going to runoff time again really need to try and make it out there when there's not a lot of run off......but ill take. Some Colorado river fishing for trout over the still water fishing here in Kansas anytime. Once again thanks for the report
Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakewoodie View Post
Awesome thanks for the report sucks that its going to runoff time again really need to try and make it out there when there's not a lot of run off......but ill take. Some Colorado river fishing for trout over the still water fishing here in Kansas anytime. Once again thanks for the report
Be ready to freeze at night; no matter what the temps are in the day-time. I was there two years ago may and it was sub-freezing every night up there. I think that is a normal day at that altitude, big temp swings.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 PM

Sorry to be confusing----it's not runoff, just that what little snow that keeps falling, melts away quickly. In fact, flows are pretty low in the Canyon (61.6 CFS) and at Spinney (75.8).

If you're coming all the way out here to fish, I'd hit the Arkansas River up right now---it's fishing awesome. From Canon City up river is really nice. There's BWO's hatching, making for some great nymphing and even some good dry fly fishing when the weather cooperates and there's caddis larvae in the water. I took some friends that are just starting out down there this weekend and one of them was into six fish in the first hour, including a very nice 15" brown.

A 9 ft. 5 wt (to help deal with the wind and make for some extra reach on some of the swifter sections) with a 10 ft. 5x leader, paired up with a Tungsten Golden Stone and a black sparkle wing RSII or black flashback JuJu Baetis dropped off the back will catch a lot subsurface and a #18 or #20 extended body BWO will do on top.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

Also, depending on where you're at in Kansas, have you considered Missouri or Arkansas? The weather is a little nicer right now (no wind!) and the fishing can be out of this world in places.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 AM

I live in the north central part of Kansas have thought about going to Arkansas sometime but have never been there this will be my 7th time to Eleven Mile Canyon. I am some what familiar with that area so I'm not learning an area over again. I have fished below Spinney but that was once right below the dam once at the bridge and have fished the lake once and once above the lake. Also fished the Arkansas a couple of times I like it but am not very familiar with it the time I fished around Coaldale we did pretty decent but last year that was all muddy had to stay upstream from Salida might try the Arkansas again this year depending on what happens. Last year while we where there in April once u got to Lake George the S. Platte river was seriously muddy and up it sucked tried to fish Happy Meadow but couldn't catch anything same deal with up by Hartsel.

As far as freezing I don't mind the cold nights I got a decent sleeping bag. And the nights always seem to be freezing when I am there; been there in beginning of April, beginning of June, and the beginning of August a couple of times nights are always cold.

Few days off from work and away from the wife always going to be a good trip; a few pulls on the rod will just top it all off. Would like to try and get another pike this year though got one last year that was some fun.....
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Just so you know, the campgrounds in 11 Mile Canyon do not open until May 21.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Just so you know, the campgrounds in 11 Mile Canyon do not open until May 21.

You mean until then its just old fashioned camping, No camp host, no water tanks, no trash service. You can still camp there outside of the Peak season when they have Trash, camp host, and water tank, and it is a few bucks cheaper if I remember correctly.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:49 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

The sign at the entrance lists each campground and everyone says,"Campground closed"

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 PM

I thought Riverside Campground stayed open year round?

Either way, there's always camping in the National Forest. The biggest issue right now is fire, though. Double check with the Forest Service before you camp because open fires are banned in a lot of counties on the Front Range right now.