The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough
Default Tailwater Open?

Is the Beaver open below Skagway open in Winter? If so, how far down the canyon are you able to fish?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tailwater Open?

The short answer is most likely open. I've only been down there in winter once on a Search and Rescue mission about 8 years ago. It's very rugged country, the stream sides are treacherously icy and lots of big cats too.
I have to ask, why you want to go to such an inhospitable place to fish? Yes, it's beautiful but I wouldn't think the fishing would be good enough to make up for the royal pain in the butt it's gonna be trying to lay line to the fishes.
If you go PLEASE give a full report when you get back. And remember to tell someone where you are going and when you expect to get back. It makes it more likely SAR will find you alive if something goes wrong.
The 7.5 TOPO is Big Bull Mountain Quad.
Here's a link to some pics a guy took of the area in winter. He went in from the Canon City side.
http://picasaweb.google.com/drobincorvette/20091228#
And here's his post about the area.
http://hiking-co.blogspot.com/2009/1...creek-wsa.html

Last edited by yatahey; 12-28-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:46 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough

After that kind of description, how could I not want to go?

Seriously though, it seems like a nice tailwater creek to fish, without the business of Deckers or Cheeseman. I'm going to explore the upper portions from the reservoir and the bottom from Canon City, then, once the runoff is down, I'll take a couple days to hike it all the way through.

My Wife is always care taker of my literary for any trip into the woods with a full contingency plan timeline, I try and be as responsible as possible.

After doing some ice fishing for the first time today (caught some stockers that went into the freezer for a fish fry stockpile), I talked to some guys that hinted a certain man-made stream that flows into a high reservoir up here is open and low enough to fish, so I'm going to take my new 8'6" #4 up there and try and catch some wild ones.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Sounds like a seriously great adventure. Some friends kicked around the idea of a through hike from Gold Camp Road to Canon City last summer. Down the East Fork to the confluence and out. They figured 5 days to do it slow enough to enjoy. It never happened. Maybe next year.
Have fun and be careful.