The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM

carlbrooke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Montana Trip Advice

Bozeman or Livingston are great choices for a base to operate from. Maybe spend a couple of days in Livingston and then a couple of days at West Yellowstone or Ennis. That way your only driving once.

Yes to the rods.

Flies - It depends on conditions. check locally when the time comes.

Fly Shop. I highly recommend Montana Troutfitters. check them out at Montana Troutfitters -- Bozeman's oldest and most trusted trout shop

Burger and a beer - try "Montana Ale Works" in Boz. Lots of good micro brews. In Livingston try Neptune brewery. Great local brewer.

And yes to stream access laws. All navigable water ways are publicly owned to the high water mark. Staying in the rocks, rocks stepping in the grass and it's your ass!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbrooke View Post
And yes to stream access laws. All navigable water ways are publicly owned to the high water mark. Staying in the rocks, rocks stepping in the grass and it's your ass!
Frickin' hilarious.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:55 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

Being the one who is going with Gary to MT, I am really interested in answers to his question about killer hopper patterns. The number and variation of hoppers is staggering and I am assuming that what I use on smaller streams in July in CO is not exactly what the trout on the Madison will go after. If you know that great pattern that works in mid July on that River, or the Gallatin, please share as much info as you can.

Yes, we are taking 7 months to plan a trip that will last five days. It's either that or go insane.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 PM

hookjawedhoss is on a distinguished road

Agree on a Bighorn stop, and Livingston is hard to beat for location. Check out our website for more info at www.wildwestflyfishing.com, we have a pretty solid fising report, and always know where the cold beer is best.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 PM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road

last summer i took a trip from missoula left after work and arived in twinbridges that night fished the ruby river that next day that night drove to dillon fished the beaver head then that night drove to the big hole and fished it 3 rivers 3 days most fun I have ever had! I REALLY REALLY recomend theese 3 rivers

Ruby: Caught mostly browns and rainbows big fish very wadeable and not one person only thing is on the tailwater portion access is very spotty dont forget the upper stretch thats were I caught the biggest fish of the trip!

Beaver head: smart fish HUGE browns (smallest beeing 17 inches!) very very hard to wade access is not to bad I never had a problem finding a place

Big hole: Amazing best river I have ever steped into caught Rainbow 2 diif species of cutts Brooks browns and Grayling! access is park and walk caught fish non stop from 9 am to 9 pm all on dries!

you will not regret fishing any river in montana you will have the time of your life when there is 30 min of light left and you cant decide what riser to cast to!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
Being the one who is going with Gary to MT, I am really interested in answers to his question about killer hopper patterns. The number and variation of hoppers is staggering and I am assuming that what I use on smaller streams in July in CO is not exactly what the trout on the Madison will go after. If you know that great pattern that works in mid July on that River, or the Gallatin, please share as much info as you can.

Yes, we are taking 7 months to plan a trip that will last five days. It's either that or go insane.
IF you can fish hoppers by mid July with any real success then I wouldn't stress the pattern too much. The hoppers will be small and any small hopper pattern you use in CO. should work fine. You see a lot of different kinds of foam hoppers, if the fish are eating they won't be terribly picky especially early on.
Pretty much everything I've tied over the years that is a typical hopper pattern has worked.
It seems that by around mid July we usually start seeing the nocturnal stones hatching. You hardly ever see the adults but you do see their shucks on the rocks. People often refer to this as "hopper fishing" but it's far more likely that the fish are keyed in on the stones which are bigger than the majority of the hoppers at that time of the year. You might hit it, you might not.
Also I don't think that anyone has mentioned yet that it's possible that the Yellowstone won't even clear until mid July. It's happened many times in the past. So far snowpacks aren't looking that great so you may not have to worry about that.
However most likely it will have been only a 2 or 3 weeks of fishable water on the Stone by the time you get here. If you catch the first couple of weeks after it becomes fishable the streamer fishing can be some of the best of the year. The wading will be some of the most difficult.
I highly recommend the Yellowstone as the river to get a guide on. I would also suggest going below town if the water is still relatively big. It's a fun ride and, I think, more interesting water though it's hard to argue with the beauty of Paradise Valley or the upper Madison. Expect LOTS of people and boats on the Upper Madison by mid July. I personally think the Yellowstone, if it's fishing, would be the better option for a boat ride but I like big water, big fish and big streamers so....
Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

This month's Fly Fisherman magazine had a really detailed article on fishing the Yellowstone. Might be worth reading if you are looking at that water. If you are considering hitting the Madison, I would highly recommend getting Craig Mathews DVD Fly Fishing the Madison River, it is loaded with detailed information on how to fish that water. http://www.yellowstoneflyfishing.com/madison.htm

Larry
Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 AM

bighorn flies has a spectacular aura aboutbighorn flies has a spectacular aura about

Hopper fishing should be really good this year. The patterns that I use are these.

Click the image to open in full size.

The last one is an attractor pattern for Hoppers, Stone flies and Salmon Flies.
These patterns were phenomenal for me last year on the Bighorn.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Bighorn. Very helpful.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Yes I receive the magazine. When it arrived and I looked at the cover, it was like karma or fate or something.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Thanks for the reply. By small hoppers--do you mean like size 8-10? Here in Colorado, you hardly ever fish anything bigger than a size 14 anything. Last weekend I was fishing size 22 midges. So small to me is something like that. I assume by small you mean 8-10 as opposed to like a 4-6?
Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM

bighorn flies has a spectacular aura aboutbighorn flies has a spectacular aura about

Last year for me personally it was sizes 8-12 mostly 10's and 12's.