The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 06:33 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Montana Trip Advice

Sounds like a good plan. You may want to pack a 7 weight too if you have one, the wind out that way can be pretty stiff, making casting difficult.

There's a couple decent shops in Bozeman, on the downtown strip, I can't remember their names offhand, but if you're downtown, you'll find them.

As for fly patterns, it depends in part on what sort of water you're fishing. I've had luck with Chernobyl ants and foam Club Sandwich type hopper patterns from #6-#12. Don't be afraid to throw smaller versions. I'm not sure if that fish get wary of the bigger hoppers everyone and their mothers are fishing or what, but on a few occasions I've definitely noticed they'll hit a #10 or #12 version more recklessly than the same pattern in a #6 or #8.

Last year I bought a couple Fat Alberts at a flyshop in Gardiner and they worked well, though I'm still figuring out how to tie them. As far as flush-floating hoppers, I typically tie Gartsides Hoppers. Bring plenty of ants and beetles, they can be killer.

I know there's a couple microbreweries in and around Bozeman- Bozeman Brewery is one and Montana Aleworks is another. I don't have any experience with either. A few miles to the west is Belgrade and the Madison River Brewing Company, and they brew some very good beer there. It's fly fishing themed too, if you're into that, with brews such as Salmon Fly Honey Rye and Copper John Scotch Ale. If you do wind up in Livingston, check out The Sport, downtown. Good food, and lots of good beer (I think they had 17 different brews on tap when I was there).

Good luck!

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 AM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road

as far as flies go dont forget to tie the purple haze! its a montana creation you can buy them in local shops but all it is is a purple bodied adams the word on the street er.. river is fish see purple like we see blaze orange i even have a couple purple elk hair caddis in my box
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Just wanted to thank you all for your input. Ask and you shall receive. I don't know what I am more excited for - the chance to fish big water using big flies or the chance to sit in a Bozeman microbrewery all day. Either way we will be winners I have a feeling.

One other question: As far as wading goes, would any of you characterize the Madison, Ruby, Big Hole, Beaverhead or Yellowstone as "slick rock bottoms"? Its just that I have a tendency to fall in a lot once I hook a fish. I like to run around the river. I'm not proud of this, but it is a fact. However, I do land fish despite my "graceful" tactics. Just curious.

Gary
Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Madison is tough in spots. Up towards Yellowstone it's generally pretty tame, but when you get toward Ennis there's some hairy spots.

Gallatin is a giant riffle in some places, with lots of bowling-ball sized, slick rocks and ankle-busters. Fun fishing though.

Yellowstone is a toss-up, lots of freestone sections but some slower-water areas as well.

Big Hole isn't bad, it's in an enormous meadow/valley deal, and has moderate to low gradient in most places.

I haven't fished any of the others, though I think their may be access issues you want to look into on the Ruby.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The Maddy definately has it's share of greased bowling balls.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 PM

plantationcane is on a distinguished road

I will also be heading to the same Montana vicinity, and greatly appreciate all of the advice. Instead of starting a new thread, I hope I could ask a few questions.

We will be staying at a house in Gardiner from late June to early July. In that area does anyone know of a specific location to try? The house we are renting is on the Yellowstone, and I am sure we will head down there, but I was wondering about other locations to pull off the road and try, either in the park or in the area.

Also, any guide advice, we sure can't afford more than a half day guide so if I get one I sure hope they are worth it. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 PM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road

ruby: Easy to wade

Bighole: Easy to wade

Beaverhead Very tough in 75% of the river up stream from grasshopper exit gets a little better have not fished down stream of barretts dam it is mostly private in this section if you do get to fish around dillion make sure to fish pointdexters slough in the middle of the when the main river gets a little slow
Old 02-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantationcane View Post
I will also be heading to the same Montana vicinity, and greatly appreciate all of the advice. Instead of starting a new thread, I hope I could ask a few questions.

We will be staying at a house in Gardiner from late June to early July. In that area does anyone know of a specific location to try? The house we are renting is on the Yellowstone, and I am sure we will head down there, but I was wondering about other locations to pull off the road and try, either in the park or in the area.

Also, any guide advice, we sure can't afford more than a half day guide so if I get one I sure hope they are worth it. Thanks.
In the Park, the Gibbon and the Gardiner are probably the closest streams. The Lamar River, Soda Butte, and Slough Creek are also in the Park, 45 minutes to an hour's drive from Gardiner.

I'd check in with Park's Flyshop in Gardiner (I think the website is www.parksflyshop.com). You can get a state or Park license there, and they're very on top of what streams are producing and what patterns are working best. They also do guided trips, though I'm not sure what the rates are. I'd also invest in Craig Matthew's book, I think it's Fly Fishing in Yellowstone. It has very detailed information on most all of the Park's fisheries. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
The Maddy definately has it's share of greased bowling balls.

I guess I'll bring a few towels and try to not dance around too much.

We ended up booking a house for the week in Ennis. Smaller town, I know, but it looks like a better home base for some of the rivers farther west of the Madison as well as the upper Madison itself. A little more comfortable, too. Only 5 months to go. Hell.

Side note. I just got done rigging up to head out to the South Platte tomorrow morning. And although I have an orange egg pattern as the top fly, that size 22 mercury midge hanging off the end looks awfully small compared to those size 8 hoppers and stimulators I have been tying lately. Summer can't get here soon enough.

Gary
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM

hopperfishing is on a distinguished road

Tie up lots of chubby chernobyl's for late July. Hopper-dropper is the way to go on the Yellowstone, Boulder, Stillwater. Water should be moving pretty good so general tungsten size 10-14 pt's, copper-johns, prince nymphs should do the trick. Should be plenty of caddis around in the evenings, go with the Iris Caddis sz. 14-16. If you fish the Paradise Valley spring creeks, you're looking at the tail end of the PMD hatch which should last from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm. Harrop CDC patterns work well for dries and emergers, Barr's emergers, zebra midges, sawyer nymphs... size 16-24. Good choice on where to go and when to go... you can't go wrong.