The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 AM

clydeman is on a distinguished road
Default 3 Guys from England

We are 3 avid fly fishermen coming to fish Yellowstone for the first week of September. Never fished it before and there is so much water to choose from its difficult to decide which ones are the NOT TO MISS. It would be great to fish away from the crowds but as we 're getting on in years backpacking and hiking are a no go.
Any advice on stretches of rivers and creeks would really help us to plan a great week. Also must take flies for that time of year.

Many thanks to anyone able to provide help.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 3 Guys from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeman View Post
We are 3 avid fly fishermen coming to fish Yellowstone for the first week of September. Never fished it before and there is so much water to choose from its difficult to decide which ones are the NOT TO MISS. It would be great to fish away from the crowds but as we 're getting on in years backpacking and hiking are a no go.
Any advice on stretches of rivers and creeks would really help us to plan a great week. Also must take flies for that time of year.

Many thanks to anyone able to provide help.
You're NOT going to get away from the crowds in Yellowstone without backpacking or hiking. Sorry.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I have never fished there... but this website and others may help until someone with firsthand experience sees this post
Fly Fishing Yellowstone National Park
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

You want to stay in the park? Or around the park? What's your base town going to be? You can end up driving through a lot of traffic to get to some places.

The traffic getting around the loops will drive you crazy.. but the amount of those people fishing is really small.

Yellowstone NP is just like everywhere else. 99% of the people want to park right next to the river where they fish. If you don't mind walking a couple hundred yards.. you'll be by yourself.

There is so much water to fish, I always find water where I'm not within sight of another fisherman. If there's someone in a spot.. I just move on.

Get the book: "The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide", it'll show a lot of rivers to fish and areas you'll want to target.

My opinion.. YNP is fun to fish, it's not the best fishing in Montana/Wyoming/Idaho, but the scenery and animals makes up for a lot. If you've never been out here, you might consider a few days outside the park.

I prefer the small waters to the larger, and I know I've only fished a small percentage of the park.

Post what sort of water (large, medium, small, big lakes, small ponds) you prefer, it'll help people give you specific recommendations.

You'll still be in peak season (Labor Day sounds like), and summer vacations are still going on. If you pushed a week or so out.. you'd have less people too.

Good luck! Dave
Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I was there towards the middle of september, better time to go less crowds. Don't forget the blue damsels I did and the fish were gorging on them then.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to get in touch with this outfitter. We used them 2 years ago and were very satisfied. We stayed just outside of Livingston at a place called Chico Hot Springs.

We fished some of the larger rivers; Yellowstone, Gallatin, Madison, Missouri headwater, some smaller ones/creeks; Gardner, Nez Perce, Firehole, Lamar, Slough, a lake (Burns) and a couple spring creeks; Anderson's and Depuy's. So a pretty good variety, not all in the Park through.

We were there starting in the first week in October; some hot days, some cool ones. No problems with crowded water at all.

Montana Fly Fishing in Montana's Paradise Valley, fly fishing tackle, bookings with Outfitters and Guides and guides

Have fun; it's great fishing there!

Pocono
Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Hi Dave
Thanks to you, Pocono and everyone else who sent reply, really do appreciate it. This is a trip of a lifetime for 3 just retired guys and we are spending 6 weeks pure fishing in Ca, Or, Id, Mn, Yellowstone, Co. By the time we get to Yellowstone we will have fished Bitteroot, Bighole, Rock creek etc. When at Yellowstone we are staying in Gardiner, with the intention of using this as base camp to fish inside/outside of Yellowstone NP (within reasonable driving distance). From what we're reading it doesn't seem that fishing in Yellowstone NP is as good as the waters outside it.
Our preferred method is dry fly with nymph as second choice and streamer fishing a long 3rd behind.
Rivers/Spring creeks of medium size again would be a preference but we are open to any suggestions.
All fishing will be undertaken by wading, not interested in floating, although I'm sure it's great fun.

Thanks

Graham
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi clydeman,

If the crowds are a problem you would do better the last half of September.

You can buy "The Yellowstone Fishing Guide"
Amazon.com: The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide (9781558215450): Craig Mathews, Clayton Molinero: Books Amazon.com: The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide (9781558215450): Craig Mathews, Clayton Molinero: Books
It is not expensive and those who bought it seem to like it a lot. I would urge you to make a float at least one time. It is a special type of fishing and you will see much more of a river. The cost spread between the three of you won't be too bad. If you have never floated a river you have to do it at least once in your lifetime.

If you have Internet access on your trip we would enjoy an update as you go along.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks Frank, will certainly get the book, and talk to the other guys about trying a float. I suppose if you're going to float there are worse places than Yellowstone or Grand Teton.
Yes we are taking a computer with us and would be pleased to let everyone know just how much we are enjoying this adventure in the Rockies.
By the way, what a fantastic website this is. Thanks to all involved.

Clydeman
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Clyde September is a great time to come to Yellowstone, especially after Labor Day as the crowds drop off considerably. Tough to say what your weather will bring as it changes quickly and often that time of year. Your right about there being a lot of water to cover. The resources already shared will point you in the right direction. I'll just add that when you get your Park Fishing License be sure to ask the rangers whats happening on the various rivers. They are a wealth of current info!!

Also if you make down to the Jackson Hole area give me a shout. I can point you to some good waters with out much crowd. Maybe meet you guys for a cold one or two as well!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures