The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM

hipbone is on a distinguished road
Default Need Guidance for Glacier NP

Hello all. I am new to the board. I fly fish a lot in the tailwaters and warm/cool water streams of Ark. My family (none of whom fish) and I will be in Glacier NP from Aug 4-11 this year and I intend to do some fishing. Can anyone give me guidance (short of hiring a guide) for where and how to fish in or near the park? I will not have a boat, so it will have to be wade/shoreline stuff.

Any ideas where we might stay that would be close to some accessible waters that I can slip off to in the AM for a few hrs b/f the sight-seeing day gets going?

Other waters that would be worth a visit?

What flies will I need?

Anyone want to come with?
Edit/Delete Message
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need Guidance for Glacier NP

Hi HB,

Welcome to the forum, I have spent some time in and around GNP but can not cover anywhere that you can hit in a couple quick hours. I found the McDonald River to be sparse as far as fish and very cold but it still was a beautiful place to fish. The Flathead River was a good spot but it's a drive from the park area unless you spend a night in Whitefish MT. I would stop in Whitefish and look for a fly shop or look on line for fishing in and around the GNP area. They didn't have an Internet when I was in the area so I just had to learn as I traveled.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

The North fork of the Flathead (West of Glacier) can be amazing. It is a walk and wade or small raft trip. There is a dirt road (at least it was still dirt last time I was there) that runs along the length of river. This road goes almost into Canada. Drive the road. There is a fence line denoting private property (posted well, you will know what I am speaking of) before you get to the small town of Polbridge (about 3o people) There is a good trail along the fence line that will take you to some amazing holes. I have had many 30 fish plus days on this stretch.
As mentioned, above check in with the various fly shops in town, they will direct you to what is hitting etc. Another trip if you had the time is the Spotted Bear River. More difficult to get to (long ride) but worth the trip. Also, Hungry horse reservoir (just before Glacier) has many small rivers/streams dumping into the res. You could spend a week just fishing the mouths of these inlets.
This general area is one of my favorite places to fish. I actually got married in the park years ago.
Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
The North fork of the Flathead (West of Glacier) can be amazing. It is a walk and wade or small raft trip. There is a dirt road (at least it was still dirt last time I was there) that runs along the length of river. This road goes almost into Canada. Drive the road. There is a fence line denoting private property (posted well, you will know what I am speaking of) before you get to the small town of Polbridge (about 3o people) There is a good trail along the fence line that will take you to some amazing holes. I have had many 30 fish plus days on this stretch.
As mentioned, above check in with the various fly shops in town, they will direct you to what is hitting etc. Another trip if you had the time is the Spotted Bear River. More difficult to get to (long ride) but worth the trip. Also, Hungry horse reservoir (just before Glacier) has many small rivers/streams dumping into the res. You could spend a week just fishing the mouths of these inlets.
This general area is one of my favorite places to fish. I actually got married in the park years ago.
Let me know if I can be of any more help.
What Cutthroat said plus call Stumptown Anglers out of Whitefish for some good advice on fly selections.

If you go up near polebridge, DO take a can of bear spray and keep it real handy.

Dave
Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

Okay. Here's what you do:
1. Buy and read Night of the Grizzlies
2. Hike into Trout Lake and fish for the abundant rising cutthroats

Seriously though, I have found that the best fishing opportunities are those beautiful alpine lakes. Take a day hike into aome of them and, like David said, make sure you are carrying bear spray. Glacier is known for their bears for a reason, ther are alot of them. And whether you are hiking to a mountain lake or standing in the Flathead, it's never good to surprise a bear, so spend the $50 and be prepared with a canister of spray. This is an excellent book for the area:
Amazon.com: Fishing Glacier National Park, 2nd (9780762710997): Russ Schneider: Books Amazon.com: Fishing Glacier National Park, 2nd (9780762710997): Russ Schneider: Books

But seriously, if you've never been to Glacier, you have to read Night of the Grizzlies. Great book and a short read. It's the true story of the first recorded deaths due to grizzlies in Glacier. Two on the same night, different bears, different parts of the park. It's one of my favorite books and it adds a heightened sense of awareness when you're trekking through the park. It gave me even more of a sense of how wild and wonderful Glacier really is. Have a great trip.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

My wife and I camped two nights in Glacier last summer before heading to ID and yellowstone. We drove to the west entrance up through PoleBridge; I know those rivers I crossed on the way there looked fishy!!!! Don't forget your bear spray, or you cigarrettes, they are TEN dollars a pack at the Polebridge shop! I guess they can charge that; they are 40 miles from the next pack of cigarettes for sale. I don't smoke, but I didnt enjoy their grill...Grilled chicken with cranberry rosamery sauce! YUM. Pretty good sandwich if you remember it a year later! You got me curious, i have to check out the book now. I got the book, "Death in the Grand Canyon" before our trip there and that really added to the experience.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
My wife and I camped two nights in Glacier last summer before heading to ID and yellowstone. We drove to the west entrance up through PoleBridge; I know those rivers I crossed on the way there looked fishy!!!! Don't forget your bear spray, or you cigarrettes, they are TEN dollars a pack at the Polebridge shop! I guess they can charge that; they are 40 miles from the next pack of cigarettes for sale. I don't smoke, but I didnt enjoy their grill...Grilled chicken with cranberry rosamery sauce! YUM. Pretty good sandwich if you remember it a year later! You got me curious, i have to check out the book now. I got the book, "Death in the Grand Canyon" before our trip there and that really added to the experience.
Should have ordered their potato and cheese stuffed bread, can't remember if I was damn hungry or if the bread was damn good. I don't smoke but thank goodness I didn't need any snuff.

Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 12:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

" ... unless you spend a night in Whitefish MT."

God that brought back memories! (Even have the photos on my lap top here) of close to a four week trip up through BC, Alberta, back down into Montana etc.. Anyway what was to be not much more than an overnight stop there turned into three days. Weather was way off so most of the rivers/streams were to high to fish anywhere but weather was good enough for the golf clubs. (Some truly amazing courses up there!).

Anyway Wife 2.0 and I have the first Tee-time at one of the local courses so get there early for a bit of breakfast and go loose golf balls. Only fellow who was there (short of the cook) turned out to be the owner of the course. Three of us have breakfast together and we're talking fishing.

Told him, so far, it had been a total wash out. Fellow asked if 'I'd like to fish here.' 'Here, as in where?'

All be damned, for mosquito control they stocked the water hazards with Trout!! And those fellows were well fed! Average fish - C & R and barbless (a requirement, but fine with me) - clocked in at 3 to 5 pounds. Total hoot on a 5wt rod.

Best 'trout fishing' I've ever had, bar none.

fae
Old 04-10-2011, 01:41 PM

Fred

I have played some of the courses in the parks west of Calgary and they are indescribable. I don't think there is a snub nosed course in the south as beautiful.

Dave