The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 02:29 AM

cactus23 is on a distinguished road
Default Closure of Montana rivers during August.

Gday.

A mate and I are traveling over in August. Have read before about rivers in Montana being closed due to water temps. Is this every year or is it dependant on water temps?

Was there an above average snow pack and will there be plenty of water July through late August?

Thanks heaps

James
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Closure of Montana rivers during August.

It's the exception. It's been a few years since I've seen it - 2006 was the big one. It's not all the rivers either - found this, shows the extent.

Montana River Closures - Rocky Mountain Fly Forums

You could easily find open rivers to fish

And Yellowstone Park can close rivers, completely, or during certain periods of the day. Last I saw was 2007 - but I don't fish there every year
Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

It is impossible to say for sure this early, but my prediction is that rivers will stay open. We have a healthy snowpack this year.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 PM

Sweet. Now what flies are we looking at bringing. Hoppers???? Some Big fat hoppers???

It's gonna be good. Also fishing Colorado and Woming on the way down.

Thanks very much.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus23 View Post
Sweet. Now what flies are we looking at bringing. Hoppers???? Some Big fat hoppers???

It's gonna be good. Also fishing Colorado and Woming on the way down.

Thanks very much.
If you fish the south west area of Montana, you'll have the Madison ( and Yellowstone NP) and just a few miles south over the border, the Henry's Fork in Idaho. Nothing against Wyoming and it has some beautiful fishing spots, but I would think about trying to hit those waters too if you can swing it.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

What's your starting point in Montana? And which way are you going south?

Easier to recommend waters that way
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM

Gday Dhayden.

We'll be travelling up from SLC and head towards Kalispell via Idaho, then Missoula, Helena, Bozeman, Jackson Hole, Billings. Or we may head north from Helena to Great Falls. I think I'd like to visit the Bighorn. Then drop down towards Casper and from there south again into Colorado and then make our way to Grand Junction on I-6 because I like the drive. From there we'll head to Green Ricer and float that with a guide there.

From there back to SLC. I think that just about covers it.