The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2006, 02:33 PM

ghostingrey is on a distinguished road
Default Howdy Rocky Mountain Flyfishers!

Just wanted to post up and say hi. I just joined the forum. I've been out in New Mexico for almost three years now. I really only fish small streams in the Jemez and Sangre de Cristo's. I realized the other day that it's kinda riduculous that I've been here so long and haven't made it to the San Juan yet, maybe this fall. Don't know if there's anyone around from New Mex or Colorado but post up if you're out there. Fishing here is slowing down quickly since there is no water. The Pecos river is the lowest I've ever seen it. Fished the Rio Medio (which I wouldn't expect anyone outside Northern New Mexico to have heard of) last Saturday and did pretty well despite low water conditions and spooky fish. I managed to catch and release three nice browns and a small cutthroat. That cutthroat was a reel treat (pun intended). I can still count the number of Rio Grande cutthroats I've caught on two hands, but hopefully I'll have to start using my toes soon. Enough rambling, just wanted to introduce myself.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Hey Man...

First of all... welcome to the forum.

Secondly... I don't live in New Mexico but its one of my favorite states and certainly among my favorite places to fish. I've not yet fished the Jamez streams but I frequent the San Juan and the small streams in NW New Mexico. Fly fishing the Stonefly hatch on the Cimarron in early June is dry fly fishing at its best.

Also, I own a guide service on the San Juan River. Its Aztec Anglers at www.aztecanglers.com

So, if I wasn't stuck in Texas, I'd probably live in NM or SW Colorado.

I hope you enjoy the forum. Let us know how we can help.

Steve

Old 06-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Howdy Rocky Mountain Flyfishers!

ghostingrey,
Glad to have you aboard with us. Make sure you share all you can about you fly fishing the Sangre de Cristo's. Beautiful country.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 PM

ghostingrey is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys, thanks for the welcome. Thanks for the heads up on the guide service Steve, the rates seem really reasonable and it looks like you hook people up with some beautiful fish. Hopefully next time my father comes to visit I can convince him to pay for a trip lol. I was hoping to make it up to the Cimmaron by now but I haven't had a chance. The reports seem to indicate it is fishing pretty well even though the water is low. A friend of mine just called me yesterday from the San Juan. He said the number and size of the fish up there was incredible, it really lit a fire under my a#! to get up there. Definintely gonna plan a trip for July.
As for fishing in the Sangres, I'll start posting pics and info as soon as I get a chance. There's a few nice pictures on my camera at home. Unfortunately every time I catch a cutthroat I am so concerned about safely getting it released that i forget about my camera until I'm watching the fish swim away, oh well. I'd have to say, based on my limited experience (I've only flyfished in Northrn New Mexico and Western New York, although I've fished all over on conventional tackle) that the Sangre de Cristo mountains are a truly spectacular place to fish. The streams are generally small (5'-20' wide), the wildlife and vistas are spectacular, and if you hike a small distance from campgrounds and fishing areas where they dump rainbows by the truckload you'll find some excellent populations of wild browns, with a smattering of bows and cutthroats. The Pecos is the best known of the Sangre streams and certainly holds the biggest fish, 20" fish are regularly if not frequently caught. Most of the wild fish are in the 8"-12" range, with occasional 14"-16". My largest from the Pecos so far is a 16" brown that I'm ashamed to say I caught on a spinning rod with a worm. All I was trying to do was catch some stocked rainbows for dinner. That monster surprised the heck out of me. The major tributaries of the Pecos also offer excellent fishing. Mora Creek is certainly my favorite. It has easy access, pleantly of wild browns. And if you are willing to walk more than 1/2 mile you will practically have the river to yourself. One of my favorite streams to fish on the west slopes of the Sangres is the Rio Santa Barbara. It is a virtually undisturbed watershed and is arguably the best cutthroat stream in the state. Last time i was up there (Early may) I watched a football shaped 14" cutt slam the beadhead hare's ear i was using, then promtly break me off just a few seconds into the fight. At least I got a good look at him. This post is getting a bit long and I better get back to work. More to come later,
Conor
Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

"a spinning rod with worms"...