The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Ruby river Montana

i will mention that about 15 miles above resevoir the ruby and its tribs are in Beaverhead National Forest so there is complete access.

this is small freestone water.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 PM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60011006 View Post
i will mention that about 15 miles above resevoir the ruby and its tribs are in Beaverhead National Forest so there is complete access.

this is small freestone water.
Good info. Is there a road nearby, or is it a hike into the NF for steam access,
and how many miles of access in the NF ? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaker488 View Post
Good info. Is there a road nearby, or is it a hike into the NF for steam access,
and how many miles of access in the NF ? Thanks.
The Road Runs Along It...all the way from the reservoir to the headwaters and beyond. Once you hit the NF I reckon there numerous camp spots.

Report back!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Appreciate the info. I'm planning on being out that way late next month into early October, and will check it out. Thanks again !
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Early October is about as good as it gets out here. The browns will be on the move and agressive. I've never fished the upper Ruby, but I would expect some big browns move up out of the reservior to spawn in the stream. Look for 8 inch deep riffles above deeper holes. And wade carefully to not trample through redds.

Also, you really have to go hit the Big Hole if you are that close. The big browns are certainly getting ready to spawn there, it can be epic.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:34 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Another nice thing.. the upper Ruby does have some grayling
Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Unfortunately had little success at the Ruby when I was there at the end of last month (as did others I talked to), however the water looked like
spring-snowmelt as the Corp was very busy working on the reservoir/dam. Maybe next trip my timing will be better ?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Unfortunately had little success at the Ruby when I was there at the end of last month (as did others I talked to), however the water looked like
spring-snowmelt as the Corp was very busy working on the reservoir/dam. Maybe next trip my timing will be better ?
The Ruby seems to be about the most temperamental river I fish..
Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I am in houston for another month, send me a pm if you want to go chase some bass, catfish, or something in the salt.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
I am in houston for another month, send me a pm if you want to go chase some bass, catfish, or something in the salt.
How is mud school going? Do you know where they are sending you yet?

Dave