The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Cheesman Canyon - South Platte last week

After seeing flytyer_neal's Gunnison River report, I couldn't help but share.

It started out a great day in Cheemsan Canyon last week when I landed a real nice rainbow. I proceeded to go head over tea kettle no more than 30 minutes later trying to land the second one. Who puts those rocks right in the middle of a perfectly good river anyway? I feel your pain Neal. More than 2 miles away from the truck in a canyon in 40 degree weather and soaking wet is no way to spend an afternoon.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

But I netted him.

Report: The canyon all the way though Deckers to Bridge Crossing is fihsing fair to good. Eggs, SJ worms, midges - typical stuff. More fish in the skinnny water than I have seen in a while in February. Sight fish if you want the best success. And keep your feet underneath you.

Gary
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cheesman Canyon - South Platte last week

Gary,
Thanks for the report. Gotta be extra careful this time of the year in the Canyon. It can be a challenge just getting in and out of there with the ice. Glad to hear you are getting into some nice fish lately.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Gary: Sounds like you had a good day on the water, sorry about getting wet though, that had to be COLD.

Larry
Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Cheesman Canyon - South Platte last week

I happened to be with Gary on the day in question. I took the photos, which is about all I did that day. I felt compelled to post regarding Gary's optimistic view of the Canyon, for all the other fisherman out there who are continually mystified by this stretch. The river in that canyon leaves no room for error. The fish are elusive and spooky. It is the only stretch where I still approach with the question, "will I hook up," instead of "how many will I hook up," which is my usual attitude. If you are going to fish the canyon, take heart, be patient, and enjoy the scenery. If you are hung up on success (catching fish) the canyon can be a tough place.

I also take excellent photos.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
I happened to be with Gary on the day in question. I took the photos, which is about all I did that day.

I also take excellent photos.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Jimmie, shut-up and get on da choppa.

Last edited by Jimmie; 02-17-2010 at 04:48 PM.