The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 11:02 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Madison/Gallitin (PICS) Winter 2010

Technically I was 'fly fishing'.

I had it down to a science over the past week; I'd rig up the night before, drive the half-hour to the Madison, and be in my waders waist-deep within the time most guys arrived at work ..(I'm still unemployed); .....the only problem was no one told the fish?

Because of this I got a little 'artsy fartsy' with my camera and well.....

Here's what the Madison looks like when your not there, and the fish aren't either?

Click the image to open in full size.

That's Suzie (my Brit) and Mocha (my GSP)...get used to seeing them; they have a way of making it into nearly every shot I have ...doing just about everything I do one this earth?...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then its back to "local waters" of the Gallatin (just 2 miles from home).
...Funny enough, I wasn't on this NAFF a day before I made a contact locally and unbelieveably I mentioned over the phone: "I'd seen some fresh foot-prints on the Gallatin recently, while crossing over a bridge", only to be told the prints I saw belonged to the young man himself?

Thus, with a little info about secluded pools, a couple "green and red patterns that should work", I made my way down the sketchy trail with anchor ice everywhere; following the guys' footsteps in the snow the whole way....?

Even though I didn't catch any I did get a hit that made me wonder whether it was "him"?
HIM being that 'predatory brown' an entire thread has been devoted too and was once seen "carrying a 6" rainbow in its jaws?"
I had on a large mouse pattern at the time and no matter how many times I threw it back it him, he never bit again?

This is why I went back to shooting 'artsy farsty' stuff for the rest of the afternoon...enjoy.

I didn't get him this time, but God willing one of us will soon; and my only wish is I'm there with my camera when we do?

Moe
Old 02-27-2010, 02:52 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Madison/Gallitin (PICS) Winter 2010

Moe, great story and your eye for photography is incredible. I felt like I was walking the river with you, but alas, I am not... thanks for sharing it with us though... a little dream never hurt anyone and I hope you get that brown next outing!

- Justin
Old 02-27-2010, 05:09 AM

cactus23 is on a distinguished road

That doesn't look too cold! I'll be fishing that my self in a 4 weeks after traveling half way around the world. With 2 weeks of solid fishing where can I go, I was thinking driving up to fishing the Madison and Gallatin along then across to Missoula and the Bitteroot for a bit and if I have time back across to Fort Smith and the Big Horn. I have six weeks all up and I don't think 2 will be enough. I have the feeling I could spend all 6 weeks on anyone river in Eastern Montana and still wish I had've gone just around that next bend Not sure if the golfclubs will come out at all!
Good pics Moe, good pics.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful pics Moeis it a "breton"spaniel you've got?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Very nice Moe. Thanks. Handsome dogs you've got too.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:01 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

WOW what photos thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 PM

montuckylucky is on a distinguished road

Sweet pictures man. If you continue that way for about a mile there are lots of good spots back there and no one goes there but us. I saw your tracks! I went out yesterday and hooked up two and lost them both, one was pretty big too. I tried going with a Circus Peanut, which has the stinger hook on it, could be why Im losing it. Today I went way low down on the river thats where they say the big browns are, I didnt catch anything but the water was uber murky from this warm weather meltoff.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Nice pictures.

Winter fishing can be tough around here.