The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Arkansas River suggestions

Lukewl and myself have started to fish together quite a bit and want to take our first trip on the Arkansas. Anyone have some suggestions for areas to fish on thursday? We'll be wading. Thanks a ton for any advice in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Arkansas River suggestions

along where are you going to be? if you want to drive it i would suggest heading up the canyon past Cotopaxi (sp) and starting at Vallie Bridge and working my way down. if your heading even further up near Leadville, try Hayden Meadows. if your hanging out near Cannon City, the first two pull outs have a ton of decent holes along there. if you want to go after some tail water, head below Pueblo Res and enjoy the miles of holes that you can easily walk (along the bike path) and fish.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I fished the Ark last week from west of Hyway 9 to Texas Creek. Chartreuse Caddis Larva and Golden Stones in the morning, and Caddis Pupa and Beatis nymphs in the afternoon were the ticket. Some BWO's were coming off too.
That being said, the Caddis Hatch is starting big time from Canon City to Texas Creek. Bring EHC and your favorite adult caddis patterns. You are hitting it just right. Check this report and be stoked.
Good luck and enjoy.
Arkansas River Fishing Report

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 AM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough

Thanks a ton guys. I was thinking canon city area. I'll talk to Lukewl. I'll take some pics and report after our trip.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 PM

lukewl will become famous soon enoughlukewl will become famous soon enough

Fishing was slow but we landed a few. All browns between 10-15" here some snaps of a few. It was strange, I hooked one fish that was not top water but that was the only one... the rest were on para adams or EHC's. We tried everything from caddis pupa (sp?) and limey princes to midges, rs2's, stones with everything in between with no luck. I cant complain about top water action but it was strange. Here are a few of mine. Dont mind that my hands look like a 6 year olds...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Slow or not, those are nice looking browns, congrats!

Larry

Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM

It was strange. The occasional hatch, and catch on a dry or nothing. We didn't catch one fish subsurface and think we threw our box at them including what was suggested in town. All in all a great day. It's always fun to see new land and fish new waters.