The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 AM

laminarman is on a distinguished road
Default Late Sept trip to Montana: advice please

Hi folks, newbie on this forum.

I have the last week of September off and am planning on coming out to Bozeman, Ennis, Paradise Valley/Livingston area to fish for the first time. I live right near and fish the Beaverkill and Delaware systems in NY State, and have fished for Atlantic Salmon so I'm not a novice. I will likely only use a guide for a day IF I do a drift trip.

I'd like to try the Yellowstone to say I did it, and to see the park a bit. I'll likely find a "cabin" to rent somewhere and cook for myself or eat sandwiches on the stream. I typically get up and fish sunup to sundown with a break to eat and go pottie. I have the endurance and stamina to really hit the water. I don't mind driving an hour each way to fish, maybe a bit more. I would love one or two smaller, off the beaten path rivers with a good experience, solitude and scenery. I'll trade good fishing with no people for great fishing with arm to arm people any day of the week. I want to try to avoid rivers that demand I drift them, I prefer wading.

I'm not sure at this time of year what the weather holds, no hathes or what to expect. Any advice is appreciated, as far as fly shops, cabins, what city to choose..etc and where to get a rental car. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Late Sept trip to Montana: advice please

Wow, 45 views, no advice. OK, so I'm impatient

How about this: am I better fishing last week of September or going upland bird hunting somewhere?? You guys have all that "runoff" and "snowpack" issue that we don't have out here, not sure how weather patterns affect things, and I do know it's early in the year to judge those things.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

green drake western, blue damsels in the park, etc. best time of year to out there. just be prepared for snow at times. check the shops out there for hatches. bud lillys is good one for the park. to get to some places it will longer than 1 hour, lots of distance compared to here for sure. feel free to pm me for more info if I can help.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

The Last week in September is a marvelous time to come to Montana to fish. The hatches will have dwindled but there are still plenty of opportunities for some very good dry fly fishing. Terrestrials will be the name of the game on top unless we see some early season snows or heavy frost that will put an end to the hopper action. The Blue Winged Olives should be out for aquatic insects and depending on where you are in the state you could find some October Caddis hatches as well as some late season Trico's. The streamer fishing will just be picking up and nymphing will always get you into fish.

As far as rivers and areas to go I am a bit biased because I live in Bozeman and work on the Yellowstone, Madison, Gallatin and Park waters for a living. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the area surrounding Bozeman/Livingston/West Yellowstone.

The Western part of the state may be another great option, especially if you prefer to fish on the surface. The Missoula/Hamilton area has some great fishing as well and they have a few more opportunities for hatch matching in the fall than we do in the Bozeman area. However they don't have the variety of water, primarily because of the waters inside Yellowstone.

As far as rentals and the like there are plenty of options for lodging and depending on what you are looking for you can find it. Cabin rentals are great but if you are coming out by yourself it may not be the most economical lodging. Chico Hot Springs is a great place in the Paradise Valley and you can rent cabins, suites or just a room. They have a great hot springs pool and a great restaurant. Check them out, they have lodging in all price ranges. You can also do a web search for a couple of rental companies in the area. They are called, Intermountain Property Management and Mountain Home Vacation Rentals. Both offer a wide variety of homes, condo's and cabins to rent. If you just want a place to crash in Bozeman with a small kitchenette and walking distance to our downtown than look up the Blue Sky Motel. It is a great little hotel that is very clean and very reasonable. These are just a few suggestions and feel free to send me an IM if you have any specific questions.

Where ever you wind up I hope you have a wonderful time in a wonderful state.

Biggie
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Late Sept trip to Montana: advice please

First off: WELCOME!

Second: I read your post this morning and cracked up at your "pottie" comment (wasn't expected).

Third: Heck I didn't know what to tell ya cause I just moved to Bozmean myself a few months ago and figured I'd best let Biggie and the other locals take a crack at it first; so I too could gleen some info?

Moe

Last edited by moe b; 03-10-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 AM

hopperfishing is on a distinguished road

Last week in Sept. there is some great fishing up in Yellowstone Park. Soda Butte, Slough Creek and the Lamar R can have some fantastic drake and baetis fishing that time of year. Soda Butte can get a little crowded, because of the great fishing, but the Lamar offers same hatches, just fewer people. Also check out Cache Creek, a trib to the Lamar... little hike, but should be even less crowded. As far a fly shops go, check out Anglers West out of Emmigrant, MT or Park's Fly Shop out of Gardiner, MT Both of these shops are close to the park and will be up to speed on what's happening. BTW, you still might get some terriestial fishing if the weather is on the warm side. Be sure to carry some hoppers, beetles, and flying ants. Have fun
Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperfishing View Post
Last week in Sept. there is some great fishing up in Yellowstone Park. Soda Butte, Slough Creek and the Lamar R can have some fantastic drake and baetis fishing that time of year. Soda Butte can get a little crowded, because of the great fishing, but the Lamar offers same hatches, just fewer people. Also check out Cache Creek, a trib to the Lamar... little hike, but should be even less crowded. As far a fly shops go, check out Anglers West out of Emmigrant, MT or Park's Fly Shop out of Gardiner, MT Both of these shops are close to the park and will be up to speed on what's happening. BTW, you still might get some terriestial fishing if the weather is on the warm side. Be sure to carry some hoppers, beetles, and flying ants. Have fun
Hey thanks for the solid advice! Can't wait until September. Freezing up here still right now, but the season opens in seven short days and the wormdunkers will be out in full force in the Catskills (we call it the "Jersey Hatch").
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM

carlbrooke is on a distinguished road

I would highly reccommend the all new Yellowstone Valley lodge. It is river side in one of the best sections of the Yellowstone and they just remodeled everything. Excellent dining as well.