The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Fishing Streamers

I feel as though I am a poor streamer fisherman. I would love to hear some discussion on when to fish streamers, what kind of water to target, and techniques to use. I am not so concerned with still water, but mostly curious about moving water.

Can't wait to hear your ideas.

Gary
Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Streamers

Gary: I like streamers best in the spring and the fall. One of these days I'm going to get out and use streamers while night fishing. I mainly fish from a drift boat so I use a sinktip line with a fairly short leader, 10 lb mono. I don't think the fish are leader shy when fishing streamers, especially with high water. The stout leader helps when you get snagged on shore. I like to drift along and pound the banks. If the fish aren't biting I try to vary the retrieve rate and the amount of time before I start retrieving after the cast so I'm covering more depth. I think streamer fishing from a boat is so effective because you are covering so much water. There is a FF DVD on the South Fork that was done with the Hyde family (from Hyde Drift boats). If I recall correctly, the film was shot in late summer, the gal in front was throwing chernobal ants at the banks and the guy in the back was throwing streamers and they were both catching plenty of fish.
Last year Davo and I did a float on the South Fork near Swan Valley, ID and the water was pretty high (13,600 cfs). I think it peaked at around 27,000 cfs later in the spring. We put in at the boat ramp behind the South Fork Outfitters Fly Shop and floated down through the canyon roughly 25 miles to the Byington pull out. Previosly, the longest float I had done in one day was around 13 miles so that gives you an idea of how the river was flowing that day. I landed six and Davo landed 13, we both had numerous LDR's during the day.

Larry
Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Kelly Galloup has a book on streamer fishing(can't for the life of me remember the name) that is a must read if you want to learn streamer fishing for trout.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I agree with packfancjh advice on Kelly's book. I'm an avid streamer fisherman. I fish streamers about 90% of the time. Early, Mid or Late season. Rain or shine. If there is a good hatch going I'll switch to a dry otherwise you will find me chuckin streamers.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I agree with packfancjh advice on Kelly's book. I'm an avid streamer fisherman. I fish streamers about 90% of the time. Early, Mid or Late season. Rain or shine. If there is a good hatch going I'll switch to a dry otherwise you will find me chuckin streamers.
I can vouch for that, I have never seen Davo fishing without a streamer on the end of his line! LOL!
I have a copy of Kelly's DVD "Streamer Fishing for Trophy Trout with Kelly Galloup", and it is well worth the price.
Amazon.com: Streamer Fishing For Trophy Trout with Kelly Galloup: Kelly Galloup, Gene Hering: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Streamer Fishing For Trophy Trout with Kelly Galloup: Kelly Galloup, Gene Hering: Movies & TV

Larry
Old 03-19-2010, 02:27 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Hey mcnerney I recommend the book cause it has a great deal more info. It goes into detail about where and how to fish streamers. Plus dispelling many myths about when to fish them.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

Just wanted to join in the discussion so I can get updates on this to my email. I have been studying streamers a lot lately and it seems to me that when nothing else noticeable is going on, a lot of accomplished fly fisherman chuck streamers. Plus I find them way easier to tie than my usual size #24 midges.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
Just wanted to join in the discussion so I can get updates on this to my email. I have been studying streamers a lot lately and it seems to me that when nothing else noticeable is going on, a lot of accomplished fly fisherman chuck streamers. Plus I find them way easier to tie than my usual size #24 midges.
bj: I have to agree, unless you are talking about streamers that Ard ties. His are all shadow box worthy, I wouldn't want to get a fly like that wet.
The style I tie are all pretty simple ties (wooly buggers and mohair leeches).

I have been kind of surprised that none of the other streamer guys have jumped into this discussion on streamers! I know all the steelie guys throw streamers, but we haven't heard from any of them, maybe their too busy this time of year catching big trout!

Larry