The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 02:18 PM

tbone616 is on a distinguished road
Default Summer Trip to Montana

Hello all,
Just stumbled upon this forum trying to gain some advice via google so this actually works out quite perfect. Me and my fishing buddy are gonna be heading down to Columbia Falls in July or August for four days for our annual fishing trip and I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions of places for us to try. We are both both only c&r fishermen and neither of us has ever fished Montana before so any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. We would like to fish relativly close to Columbia Falls without driving to far (if possible) but would be willing to drive a little for a day or two. Thanks in advance for any possible suggestions!

Last edited by tbone616; 03-23-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Summer Trip to Montana

Ive only been in MT two years and even had to google where Columbia Falls was just now...?

...So Im probably not much help, but aside from some waters up that way, and I'm sure there are several; it seems you might make a trip toward Missoula (not far) and do some searching around there for great rivers to hit while in MT. Several fly shop websites, you'll find in that region too might be helpful.

Moe
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Trip to Montana

tbone616: About 10 years ago I floated the Flathead River, it flows right through town and I used the local fly shop in Kalispell. Here is a link to some information on the flathead: Fly fishing the Flathead River System in Montana

If your not interesting in using a guide, I would recommend buying a copy of The flyfishers guide to Montana, it will detail the rivers and lakes in the area with descriptions of the public access points.
Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Montana (Flyfisher's Guide to) (9781932098228): Chuck Robbins: Books Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Montana (Flyfisher's Guide to) (9781932098228): Chuck Robbins: Books

Larry
Old 03-23-2010, 04:46 PM

tbone616 is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot for the help fellas, that book looks to be exactly what i was looking for. I've heard good things about the Missoula area and we were actually discussing heading there for a day or too.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM

carlbrooke is on a distinguished road

There is some great fishing in the area.

Try the upper parts of the Yak and also try the South Fork of the Flat head where it dumps into the Hungry Horse. This is one of my favorite rivers to fish in Northern Montana. There are guides up there that do pack trips into the Bob Marshall Wilderness and then you float back out on rafts. It's a great experience.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

I guide out of Missoula which is about 2 hours south of Col Falls, I have a buddy who fishes the Middle Fork of the Flathead and does well, he's in Bigfork MT.
We have 4 excellent rivers that run through Missoula. We guide about 400 miles of the Blackfoot, Clark Fork, Bitterroot, and Rock Creek rivers. There are a ton of public access points that you can walk in and fish as long as you stay below the high water mark. Most fly shops have maps that show these access points. You can check out our company, we offer pretty good reports and provide hatch info, and run guided fly fishing float trips.
Late July and Aug is a good time frame when you will be here, there should be some excellent fishing. Late July will have hopper fishing, pmds, evening caddis, and some late goldens and sallys. early Aug is the same game with tricos showing up, later Aug it starts to rock a little more with more bugs, hekubas and fish start feeding a little more with nights cooling down water temps.
good luck