The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 11:02 AM

rpm13 is on a distinguished road
Default Yellowstone trip

Planning on driving to Yellowstone this July (8-23) from NJ and I am staying at the Tower-Roosevelt roughrider cabins and plan on fishing a different river everyday (6 days) and any advice would be greatly appreciated….Hopefully I will be able to catch the salmon fly hatch on at least one of these rivers.

My itinerary is:
Inside Park (North Entrance): Fish Gardiner, Gibbon

Outside Park (West Entrance): Fish Madison River, Gallatin

Inside Park (North East Entrance): Soda Butte Creek, Slough Creek, Tower Creek

Grand Teton National Park (South Entrance): South Fork Snake River, Grand Teton National Park

Inside Park (East Entrance): Fish Yellowstone River/Lake/Tribs

Inside Park (West Entrance): Fish Madison and Firehole

My goal is to catch Yellowstone and Snake River cutthroats and hopefully a grayling.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellowstone trip

rpm: That sounds like a great trip you have planned, might be a bit ambitious but a great trip just the same. Be sure to post a trip report, we would love to hear about your adventures!
You might want to get either Craig Mathew's DVD or book on fishing the hatches in Yellowstone.
Amazon.com: Fly Fishing Yellowstone Hatches DVD: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Fly Fishing Yellowstone Hatches DVD: Sports & Outdoors

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-26-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

You are biting off way more than you can chew, for several reasons:
1. The South Fork is three hours from where you're staying and the West Gate will be two with the road construction.
2. There's no way the Firehole and Madison in the Park will be at all fishable in your timeframe save for the brookie water of the Firehole above Old Faithful. Even during the high water of 2008 and 2009 the Firehole was done by July 10 even in the AM, and this year we're going to be lucky to have 2/3 the snowpack. I expect to be done with the Firehole by June 20 this year and the Gibbon by the end of the month.
3. The upper Yellowstone opens July 15. Most of the tribs don't open until August 11 if ever, and there won't be any fish in them by the time you're here anyway, as they're exclusively spawning streams.
4. Some of the waters you talk about fishing along with a bunch of others in one day are all-day affairs. Slough and Soda Butte both fish best between 10 and 2, for example, and the better fishing on Slough requires a 5 mile hike (Second Meadow is generally the shortest hike you can make and expect water to yourself).

The Salmonflies will be done everywhere but maybe some portions of the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone near cold tribs and maybe the Gardner above Boiling River.

I am going to give you the same advice I give everybody: pick a small region to fish, give yourself time to fish it thoroughly, and don't plan a really focused itinerary to enable you to shift gears as conditions change and you find out what water you like. If the Salmonflies ARE still going on the Yellowstone, you aren't going to want to fish anything else, for example. You could very easily spend your entire trip within 40 minutes of your cabin excluding hike time and barely scratch the surface.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

rpm13: After reading "Longs for Cutts" great advice it reminded me of another issue. The South Fork of the Snake is a big river and best fished from a boat. I think the normal river flow for the SF in the summer is around 6,000 CFS. You can find places to wade fish but you will have to do some looking, all I'm saying is if you really want to fish that river, I would highly recommend hiring a guide. South Fork Outfitters fly shop is right on the river just outside Swan Valley. South Fork Outfitters 1 800.483.2110 Professional Guided Fly Fishing PO Box 22 Swan Valley Idaho 83449
Even if you don't want to hire a guide I would recommend watching their web site as they have a great river report during fishing season.

Larry
Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

just one quick note, The South Fork of the Snake is in Idaho. I Grand Teton National Park it is the Snake River. As Larry mentioned it is best fished from a drift boat. However there are several areas from Moran to Moose that you can walk into and do well wade fishing. Just off the highway south of Moran and the Buffalo Fork. Then about half way between Moran and Moose at Schwabackers landing. I've wade fished both of these areas and done well, Schwabackers I think is best as the river braids up in this area and offer side channels that are easier to wade.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 AM

carlbrooke is on a distinguished road

RPM are you fishing or sight seeing?

I have to agree with Longs for cutts. Your schedule is way to intensive.

I would guess you are from back east. Not a slam just a perspective. I am originally from NY.

This area is Big! REAL BIG! It would take six days to fish the upper parts of the Yellowstone alone. And even then you miss most of it. It takes a life time to get an inkling of the fishing here.

My advice would be to choose an area you want to really fish and concentrate on that.

My personal opinion is that the convenient park waters get slammed. Be prepared to hike well away from the roads and access points to find some peace and quiet.