The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:32 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default I am contenplating a trip to the frying pan in Basalt

If I can swing it I would like to plan a 3 day trip to the Pan. I am on my second John Gierach book and it really looks like a must. I have a fly fishing buddy that would help split rental and guide cost so I think I can swing it this year.

I would love any and all info I could get.

Is May to June good? (or Fall Better).
When is Peak season? ( I would love to be off of it a bit)
Taylor Creek Cabins? (any info here) Looks like you can fish out your door?

Is a good wade day guide to figure out water worth it or can one wade and find fish with some fishing knowledge?

Is a float trip even better?

Thanks
Crittergetter
Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I am contenplating a trip to the frying pan in Basalt

I live close to the pan, you can't float it, it's a walking trip....I would talk to Taylor Creek in basalt......tell Kirk and Will that Neal sent ya...they are good friends of mine....there is a spot about 4.5 miles up on the pan from Basalt....it's a bit of wading but....8 - 10 lb browns and bows live under the tree that's submerged
Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

crittergetter: I'd definitely recommend getting a guide on the first day which will give you a much better idea how to fish the Pan on the next two days. The fly shops sell a river map of the Pan and the Roaring Fork that details all the public access points along both rivers, it is well worth the cost. I think your May/June trip will be fine, realize the river gets lots of traffic on the weekends so if you have the option plan to fish during the week, you will enjoy the experience more. May/June will be spring run off so the Roaring Fork might not be a good choice, but check with the fly shops on the current conditions. Most of the fly shops keep up to date river reports so keep an eye on those to get a good idea what is going on with both rivers. Hope you two have a great time, be sure to bring your camera, the valley is gorgeous and the fishing is normally great.
Taylor Creek Fly Shops, Colorado Fly Fishing

Frying Pan Anglers - Frying Pan Anglers Aspen, Basalt fly fishing, fishing reports Frying Pan, Roaring Fork and Colorado, guided fishing trips and float trips Aspen, Basalt and Colorado fishing tours, fly fishing equipment, .

Crystal Fly Shop Homepage--A Carbondale, Colorado Fly Fishing Shop and Guide Service

Colorado Fishing ~ Colorado Fly Fishing ~ Roaring Fork Anglers, Glenwood Springs,CO

Larry
Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Big time thanks to the both of you.

Sounds like a "Trout Bum" pilgrimage to the "Pan". Now it is about the cost,the wife and my Job.. I just wish I could write books and fish the rest of my life.

And in the words of a Thespian .. I hope the trip "Pans" out...

Thanks again Larry and Neal

Kris (aka Crittergetter)

PS... Larry your link killed me..
"The fishing has been excellent over the past week with the changeable weather. The fish were rising nicely on Sunday as a succession of midges and BWOs came off. The fish took small parachute adams, black and gray biots and gray adult midges #30. The bright light called for light tippet – 9x and 10x"

Ok.. #30's. and 9 or 10x... Hell the smallest I have ever used was 7x 24's. And I could barely tie those little things on...
Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post

Sounds like a "Trout Bum" pilgrimage to the "Pan". Now it is about the cost,the wife and my Job.. I just wish I could write books and fish the rest of my life.

Kris (aka Crittergetter)

"The fishing has been excellent over the past week with the changeable weather. The fish were rising nicely on Sunday as a succession of midges and BWOs came off. The fish took small parachute adams, black and gray biots and gray adult midges #30. The bright light called for light tippet – 9x and 10x"

Ok.. #30's. and 9 or 10x... Hell the smallest I have ever used was 7x 24's. And I could barely tie those little things on...
That is exactly why I like to use a guide whenever the fishing gets that technical. Another river that comes to mind like that is the San Juan. If you want to fish under more reasonable conditions, plan your trip for July and fish the Green Drake hatch. Then the fishing will be just the opposite. Fishing great big flies at fish that are just gorging themselves.

Larry
Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post

Kris (aka Crittergetter)

"The fishing has been excellent over the past week with the changeable weather. The fish were rising nicely on Sunday as a succession of midges and BWOs came off. The fish took small parachute adams, black and gray biots and gray adult midges #30. The bright light called for light tippet 9x and 10x"

Actually.....I throw buggers up on the pan.....brown and white seem to be best.....BIG trout...those guys with 7x get broke off....
Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I was fortunate to spend the entire month of July in 2009 in a cabin on Frying Pan road approximately 5.5 miles from Basalt. The Pan is an amazing river. Yes, it is technical, but once you figure it out a little it fishes very well. I would recommend the latter half of July. That is when the Green Drakes are hatching. The last 10 days that I was there I did nothing but fish dries and it was epic. My second choice would be in September or October. I highly recommend Frying Pan Anglers. Ask for a trip with Dan Cone or Mike Calcattera. They are 2 of the nicest guys you will ever get to fish with. The Taylor Creek cabins are tied to Frying Pan Anglers and if you book a guided trip you get a discount on the cabins. The best part about staying at those cabins is that you get to fish the private stretch of water owned by Frying Pan Anglers. It is located right across the road and is obviously less pressured than the public stretches. Taylor Creek is also a great shop with very nice folks. I have never fished with them, but they have always been helpful when I have been in there. It is a great destination and you will have a great time. Enjoy.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks Txbevo for the input.

I actually grew up in Bloomfield NM selling fishing worms. So I do love the San Juan and have fished it a bunch when I visit my folks. (to bad I didn't learn to fly fish until I moved away)

Technical fishing is daunting but when you get it figured out it elevates ones confidence. I just don't know if I can tie on a #30. Hell if I sneeze I could inhale one of those little hooks.

Green Drake hatch sounds like fun!! It has been a while since I had killer top water action. My last time black caddis were so thick they would crawl up our legs. We lost track of the Doubles we were catching. I think we could have put a hook through a cigarette butt and caught fish.

Thanks again everybody.. I sure hope I can work this trip out.