The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM

RossP will become famous soon enoughRossP will become famous soon enough
Default Colorado Springs

Hi I will be in Colorado Springs for the first week of August. Heading down on buisness from the west coast of British Columbia. I will be bringing my 4 piece 3wt with me with floating line. I will only have evenings after 5 to get out so any advise would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Ross
Old 07-26-2006, 07:13 PM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Colorado Springs

My brother in law lives there and he has advised me NOT to fish the local river (Arkansas?). Too polluted. Go inland. I cannot tell you what rivers, but he says there are some going west past Pikes Peak.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:26 PM

Mike N is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossP
Hi I will be in Colorado Springs for the first week of August. Heading down on buisness from the west coast of British Columbia. I will be bringing my 4 piece 3wt with me with floating line. I will only have evenings after 5 to get out so any advise would be welcome. Thanks in advance.Ross
Ross, stop in at Angler's Covey - its right near downtown CO Spgs off of hway 24. Google it if you need directions. They can steer you towards some great pocket water on the S. Platte that will be perfect for your 3 weight.

M
Old 08-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Thanks to everone who replied and PMed me. I did stop at Anglers Covey, what a store, they were very helpfull. I only got to send about two hours on the Platte in Eleven Mile Canyon, what awesome water. Did manage to hook into two the short time I was there.
Quite a different fishing experience from up here in British columbia. Up here we are only allowed to use one fly and in all steams and rivers they must be barbless. Fishing with three flies on my line was a blast. Also the size of the flies is huge, up here the smallest fly I use might be a #16 while on the Platte #20 -24 seem to be the norm. All in all I had a god time and unfortunatley I have to return twice next year for buisness, both trips will alllow me at least two full days to fish. Poor me.

Ross
Old 08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sounds like a great time. Next year try the "miracle mile/dream stream" section of the platte just above that, between spinney and elevenmile reservoirs. Wind is more likely to be an issue, but I literally have dreams about fishing that place.

You'll drive up to it and think I have pulled on your leg with the force of a mule team, but once you complete the walk across the dry nothing and see that pristine fertile stream you just might be proclaiming "THANK YOU BIGCLIFF!" out loud. Try not to dwell on that too much during your frigid canadian winter. (it will actually probably be colder on the dream stream anyway)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:02 PM

Thanks Big Cliff, I have also heard of that section, it was a toss up of were to fish and it sounded like Eleven Mile canyon was a little easier to get to. I am in hte planning stage now for my next two trips, one in February(brrrrrrr) and the other in August of 2007. I am going to try Eleven Mile again in Feb. and the miracle mile in the summer.

Winters are not too bad up here though. Living on the West Coast of British Columbia we very seldom get the real cold weather only a week or two of freezing weather a yyar. Last year I fished everyweek. From November to March I was onthe river every Monday after winter run Steelhead and some Large bull trout. Us on the west coast like to taunt the rest of Canada by letting them know how nice it is here during the winter, even if we do get rain 20 days a month, better than snow if you are a fisherperson.