The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM

piddonkadonk is on a distinguished road
Default Any idea what these are? (South Boulder Creek)

Caught a bunch of these beautifully colored trout hiking down to South Boulder Creek via Walker Ranch. Pulled 5 or 6 from the same hole. Just trying to figure out if they're brooks or rainbows due to the green coloring and pink spots. Any help? Thanks.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 AM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any idea what these are? (South Boulder Creek)

they look like the wild brown trout we get here in scotland they differ in colour from river to river and loch to loch ,

vince
Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

they look like dead fish if you squeeze any harder Looks like browns to me
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Von Behr strain brown trout, imported and populated in the US at the end of the 19th century and early twentieth century. First introduced to the Ausable River in Michigan where they flourished. In the years since they have been established throughout America. Von Behr were native to Germany thus the moniker German Brown.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
they look like dead fish if you squeeze any harder Looks like browns to me
That was the first thing that i thought of as well. Also his hands look dry, squeezing a trout with dry hands is as close as you can get to killing a trout without taking it home.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Didn't meant to scare the cr*p out of all of you. Can promise that I was not squeezing despite it looking like that, and that my hands were wet on the inside. Not sure what else I can do to really prove that one, but I understand the legitimate concern. All the fish made it promptly back into the water safe and sound.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piddonkadonk View Post
Didn't meant to scare the cr*p out of all of you. Can promise that I was not squeezing despite it looking like that, and that my hands were wet on the inside. Not sure what else I can do to really prove that one, but I understand the legitimate concern. All the fish made it promptly back into the water safe and sound.

Nice day of Brown Trout fishin!!! Glad to hear you took care of the fish handling!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks Davo. Grew up lake fishing in MN/WI so this was my first real fly fishing outing where I actually caught something. 5-6 browns had me walking on the moon!

Have done a bunch of lake fishing with a fly rod and caught everything from largemouth to shallow running baby walleyes, but catching a trout on a fly rod has got me HOOKED now.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

No worries man, just razzing you more than anything. Congrats on the hook ups! What parts of MN did you fish?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 AM

Grew up in the Twin Cities and fished lakes around the area when at home (Prior Lake, Minnetonka, Crystal Lake, etc). Would take a couple of trips per summer up to Mille Lacs, Brainerd and Northern Wisco (some Superior fishing) as well.